Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

We have have a few more car shows coming up with the Nova booked in.

All the talk of wheels on here reminded me that my Turbovecs are in need of some attention. Some may recall I got them as an ebay bargain and threw them straight on the Nova.

From a distance they looked ok, but they were victim to coarse polishing, and have oxidised badly over winter.

So this week in the warm weather I have sat on the back door step with a bucket of soapy water and lots of wet and dry sandpaper!

I started on 1200 grit, then 1500, then 2000 and finally 2500! Then I went over with a liquid cutting paste leftover from spraying the buggy, then T-cut, then autosol!

Two rear wheels done so far, hard to photograph but a massive improvement.

The work does now highlight that the painted areas need attention but that will have to wait till winter as I want to keep the car on the road.

I will photograph when on the car, but am pleased so far.

IMG_2350.jpg
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

They look like mine now after I did my diamond cutting, but yours will be a lot cheaper with elbow grease.

Looking great

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    They look like mine now after I did my diamond cutting, but yours will be a lot cheaper with elbow grease.

Looking great
    Getting there for sure, thanks David.

The question is, if Ipaint them over winter what colour?

I am wondering about doing the inserts at the front in the car Urano grey rather than black, and maybe just black on the rear faces.

Thlughts anyone?
    All the best,

Jim

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Just my OO2 here, but in general I'm not a fan of painting the inserts of Turbovecs (sorry islandman) including colour matching of slot-mags for that matter.
    Particularly if the paint is a 'strong' colour e.g. Red, Blue, etc.

The rule is: If you notice the paint, you've gone too far!
    On your car, I didn't notice they were painted until you mentioned it, which means you've got it right!

Oh, and Bonus points for bravery when attacking your wheels with 1200 grade paper. Looking good in the Pic.
    Your head says 'it's going to be ok' but were you even slightly nervous when that pile of ali dust started appearing on the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Just my OO2 here, but in general I'm not a fan of painting the inserts of Turbovecs (sorry islandman) including colour matching of slot-mags for that matter.
    Particularly if the paint is a 'strong' colour e.g. Red, Blue, etc.

The rule is: If you notice the paint, you've gone too far!
    On your car, I didn't notice they were painted until you mentioned it, which means you've got it right!

Oh, and Bonus points for bravery when attacking your wheels with 1200 grade paper. Looking good in the Pic.
    Your head says 'it's going to be ok' but were you even slightly nervous when that pile of ali dust started appearing on the floor?
    Bravery!? You hadn't seen how coarsely sanded they already were - if anything I needed to be braver! There are still a few scratches evident but loads less than when I started.

Still in two minds re colour. I never planned to colour code Nena's wheels, but once stripped and polished they needed it.

painted:

3063464589_94d3ca9f4d_o.jpg

Wheel pre paint:

2294710160_8c8c1da5c5_o.jpg
    Last edited by jim73vw; 04-07-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    All the best,

Jim

They are looking good Jim a lot of hard work though.
    Painted unpainted is such a personal choice, I personally do not like blingey silver wheels, and prefer to see turbovecs with the inside coloured.

Dirk

I think coloured (preferably black rather than body coloured) with the front surfaces shiny take a classic wheel and bring it bang up to date with the look seen on many modern cars these days.

but given the finished look I went for I'm biased

Final two done, not perfect but much better than they were, and the polish is repelling water well, so hopefully will last a while.

IMG_0968.jpg
    All the best,

Jim

Excellent work Jim .... They look brand new!
    Alistair

Very nice.

Dirk