Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Hi all,

As has been alluded to by Buffy it didnít go well for all on the way to Stoneleigh.

On Saturday negotiating some local roadworks Sarah, Martha and I left Worthing on the A27 in convoy, fortunately Martha in the Hyundai with Sarah ahead of me.

Sarah knew I was ready to plant my right foot, so pulled out and accelerated away, leaving me to hit the outside lane and fast approach 70mph.

As she approached a gentle bend she looked in her mirror to check I was out of the inside lane and saw my bonnet flip up, she then had the agonising wait for contact as I didnít come around the corner.

From my perspective, I had just got close to top speed when the first I knew of a problem was a massive ear ringing bang as the bonnet smashed up into the screen. It was still held at the hinge end so blocked my view entirely. The next few seconds seemed to last forever, but I somehow avoided any other cars, the barriers, and kerb bollards and parked in safety.

I then tried to exit but the bonnet was locked into the wiper assembly and the roof wouldnít rise. So sunroof out and a quick climb out, and much relief to see I was 100% off the road.

Iíll update with the rest of the story later as still away at hotel post Stoneleigh and need to get to breakfast, but car is safely recovered and we did attend the show yesterday.

Need to inspect damage more closely when home.

I canít bring myself to share pics at the moment, would rather not look!
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    So glad you managed to stop safely Jim .... and (not wishing to reprise an old forum discussion) that you had a quick means of escape!

Hope you can enjoy Stones today!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    So glad you managed to stop safely Jim .... and (not wishing to reprise an old forum discussion) that you had a quick means of escape!

Hope you can enjoy Stones today!

Alistair
    Thanks Alistair,

Did the show yesterday - felt odd without the car. Giving it a miss today and doing some sight seeing instead.
    All the best,

Jim

Sorry to hear of the incident and on one trip you could do without problems too. Hope the screen is OK.
    I can never understand rear hinges, front every time, (E30 BMW driver of course,) but I have seen so many bonnets smash into screens on Novas ans SSs. Yes, my SS is front hinged.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Hi all,

As has been alluded to by Buffy it didnít go well for all on the way to Stoneleigh.

On Saturday negotiating some local roadworks Sarah, Martha and I left Worthing on the A27 in convoy, fortunately Martha in the Hyundai with Sarah ahead of me.

Sarah knew I was ready to plant my right foot, so pulled out and accelerated away, leaving me to hit the outside lane and fast approach 70mph.

As she approached a gentle bend she looked in her mirror to check I was out of the inside lane and saw my bonnet flip up, she then had the agonising wait for contact as I didnít come around the corner.

From my perspective, I had just got close to top speed when the first I knew of a problem was a massive ear ringing bang as the bonnet smashed up into the screen. It was still held at the hinge end so blocked my view entirely. The next few seconds seemed to last forever, but I somehow avoided any other cars, the barriers, and kerb bollards and parked in safety.

I then tried to exit but the bonnet was locked into the wiper assembly and the roof wouldnít rise. So sunroof out and a quick climb out, and much relief to see I was 100% off the road.

Iíll update with the rest of the story later as still away at hotel post Stoneleigh and need to get to breakfast, but car is safely recovered and we did attend the show yesterday.

Need to inspect damage more closely when home.

I canít bring myself to share pics at the moment, would rather not look!
    James. So sorry to hear of your problem; glad that everyone was OK.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Hi Jim.

Sorry to hear this news but glad you & your Nova made it to safely ok.

Cheers.
    Mostin
    ďA plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrongĒ

So sorry to hear this Jim but relieved that no one got hurt. I hope there's not too much damage to the car, did the screen survive intact?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    So sorry to hear this Jim but relieved that no one got hurt. I hope there's not too much damage to the car, did the screen survive intact?
    Screen very far from intact Phil - shattered throughout and shards of glass everywhere after it was removed to aid recovery.

Bonnet heavily stress cracked across whole lower half and some chunks missing where impacted on wiper mechanism.

Front left wing small chunk ripped out at bonnet pivot point.

But it could have been worse!
    All the best,

Jim

Lets talk about bonnet catches.......

For obvious reasons I am re thinking how my bonnet is secured.

I don't need it to be routinely hinged open - it offers no luggage space as houses the radiator, heater, pump and battery.

So one option could be to just secure with bonnet pins/aerocatches etc at 4 corners and have it as a removable panel.

Or if I do go for hinging still it will ideally hinge from the front, or have significantly better catches.

Gut feel at the moment is to just make it removable, but would appreciate it if anyone could share pictures of their set ups and their catches/pins etc.

Thanks all :-)
    All the best,

Jim

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I have used electric boot releases on both the bonnet and engine cover, one was from a Rover 75 and the other from a BMW of the same era they are both exactly the same unit no need to mess with push pull cables, but they do also have a manual over ride and I attached a short length of steel wire to that so I can get my arm under the car to pull in case of a power failure. Probably not easy to fit on the Nova but I have used friction hinges on the front from double glassing windows they have multiple points of contact on the body and the lid takes some force to pull up and stays open by its self, and unlike the Nova pin hinge they can not go past a certain point.

Dirk