Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Lets talk about bonnet catches.......

For obvious reasons I am re thinking how my bonnet is secured.

I don't need it to be routinely hinged open - it offers no luggage space as houses the radiator, heater, pump and battery.

So one option could be to just secure with bonnet pins/aerocatches etc at 4 corners and have it as a removable panel.

Or if I do go for hinging still it will ideally hinge from the front, or have significantly better catches.

Gut feel at the moment is to just make it removable, but would appreciate it if anyone could share pictures of their set ups and their catches/pins etc.

Thanks all :-)
    Any idea what the failure was yet James? Catch failure, body flex? I see you had 2 catches, one each side like mine rather than to original single fix point in the middle, which I always thought would be a weak point.
    I was toying with the idea of making my bonnet hinge from the front but in order for it to open when the roof is open you need to trim about 8 inches off the screen end of it. I marked mine up but never took a saw to it. Maybe I'll do it in the rebuild.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

My bonnet is removable secured with a tongue at the leading edge that fits into a groove and two panel pins at the back. Hopefully the permanent tongue eliminates the danger of forgetting to turn the lock if that was used instead. However, given the history of Nova's suffering broken screens as a result of bonnet failure I'm considering adding a simple safety cable and Carabiner clip at the front of the bonnet to prevent the possibility of the bonnet flipping completely open in the event the tongue fails

IMG_8892.jpg IMG_8893.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Any idea what the failure was yet James? Catch failure, body flex? I see you had 2 catches, one each side like mine rather than to original single fix point in the middle, which I always thought would be a weak point.
    I was toying with the idea of making my bonnet hinge from the front but in order for it to open when the roof is open you need to trim about 8 inches off the screen end of it. I marked mine up but never took a saw to it. Maybe I'll do it in the rebuild.

Mick
    It's not 100% clear Mick - one catch has come undone for sure, whether that is tampered with whilst left parked at work or elsewhere, or has worn loose not certain - but I do check regularly so is odd.

With that one loose I think the bonnet stressed the other and pulled it free.

Still haven't looked in detail - will probably remove bonnet tonight - still hoovering out glass at the moment.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    My bonnet is removable secured with a tongue at the leading edge that fits into a groove and two panel pins at the back. Hopefully the permanent tongue eliminates the danger of forgetting to turn the lock if that was used instead. However, given the history of Nova's suffering broken screens as a result of bonnet failure I'm considering adding a simple safety cable and Carabiner clip at the front of the bonnet to prevent the possibility of the bonnet flipping completely open in the event the tongue fails

I like the 'tongue' idea. Thanks
    All the best,

Jim

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    For any new builders listening in, one of the design weaknesses of the Nova is that the bonnet/hood can flip open a full 180 degrees and smash the windscreen screen, this has happened to many Nova owners including me.

In my case some Bozo who was rolling-road tuning the car, opened the front for some reason and left it unlocked; and driving back from the shop at ~30mph - Wham!

All Nova owners need to cater for this in the build, your solution needs to be human-error proof.

Sorry Jim - rant over.
    I also like the tongue suggestion, and the complete removable option, it would likely miss the screen if it ever popped out.
    And I like the hinge-forward idea, but that is a difficult mod IMO as there aren't many flat surfaces to bolt onto(?)
    My daily driver solves this problem by having a lock, the bonnet then springs up against a hook that you have to manually press-in, there is also a dash warning light to indicate that the boot is ajar;
    The 1980's recommended solution was 2 straps attached to the bonnet side panels, down to the body that physically prevented the bonnet opening > 90 Degrees. Basic but effective.
    My 'left field' suggestion would be to have the bonnet powered-open by linear actuators.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    For any new builders listening in, one of the design weaknesses of the Nova is that the bonnet/hood can flip open a full 180 degrees and smash the windscreen screen, this has happened to many Nova owners including me.

In my case some Bozo who was rolling-road tuning the car, opened the front for some reason and left it unlocked; and driving back from the shop at ~30mph - Wham!

All Nova owners need to cater for this in the build, your solution needs to be human-error proof.

Sorry Jim - rant over.
    I also like the tongue suggestion, and the complete removable option, it would likely miss the screen if it ever popped out.
    And I like the hinge-forward idea, but that is a difficult mod IMO as there aren't many flat surfaces to bolt onto(?)
    My daily driver solves this problem by having a lock, the bonnet then springs up against a hook that you have to manually press-in, there is also a dash warning light to indicate that the boot is ajar;
    The 1980's recommended solution was 2 straps attached to the bonnet side panels, down to the body that physically prevented the bonnet opening > 90 Degrees. Basic but effective.
    My 'left field' suggestion would be to have the bonnet powered-open by linear actuators.
    I have two gas rams, with plates fibreglassed to the underside of the bonnet. The question is would they hold the force of a sudden opening at speed, or simply rip off. I had planned some time ago to have a safety catch like production cars that has to be pressed after the bonnet has been released before it can be fully opened. I haven't gotten around to this yet, but probably should!

My first Nova had a forwards hinged bonnet - the builder used two Mini boot hinges (painted black) which were designed to be externally mounted in the first place. They didn't look out of place (or hideous) I can't now remember how the rear of the bonnet was held shut. It was a pain having to drop the canopy to open the bonnet - but that was mostly because the non power-assisted roof didn't have a 'half-open' option.

Present Nova has a gas-ram who's mount is glassed to the underside of the bonnet, I don't think the glassing would resist a high-speed opening........
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

I was thinking about bonnet pins or aerolatches at the same top points, but the Moonace bonnet doesn’t have as much space because of the vents cut in which run up to the corners. I have been looking at smaller locking pins but many state in the small print ‘to be used with original bonnet mechanism’.

I am thinking aerocatch on bottom corners as I can replace the bonnet rubber supports with the latch pins, but need to work out top mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jim73vw; 09-05-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    All the best,

Jim

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your windscreen Jim. As you say, it could have been worse!

Many years ago I tried to engineer a forward hinge mechanism similar to BMW 3-series and the like - the rear edges of the bonnet would have pins sliding into rails either side of the boot area, and a pair of hinge bars at the front of the bonnet would allow the front edge to lift up and forward, so that the rear edge of the bonnet did not foul the open canopy.

Not a very clear explanation I'm afraid. In the end I abandoned the idea as being too complicated, and went for a pair of pins at the back edge to locate the bonnet and a single bracket lock on the front, same as the original. What is bothering me now is that I thought with the radiator vents I have there would never be enough pressure build up to flip the bonnet. But your Moonace bonnet has extractor vents too, so bang goes that theory (pardon the unintentional pun).

The very first ADD cars just used Dzus fasteners at each corner of the bonnet, so it would simply lift off.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

And just get the screen of the car following you

Dirk