Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Sunday bought the start of the heatwave in Worthing that we will probably look back at and call Summer!

with Sarah taking Martha to a birthday party for the afternoon I did the decent thing and jumped in the Nova! With the London to Brighton mini run just finished I joined a plethora of minis heading north on the M23!

Another 50 miles covered and despite the higher temperatures the car performed faultlessly, temp gauge never over half.

After the run when checking everything over I did notice the rear bodywork behind the engine lid was pretty warm, and I do wonder if heat is being held in the engine bay and could be reduced and improve running and avoid stress on paintwork etc?

The exhaust is inside the engine bay and heat rising from this will sit under here. I am wondering about cutting some vent holes into the rear bumper above this that would be concealed behind the light panel but allow some air to pass through, particularly if I cut a vent slot behind the number plate.

alternatively I could cut a vent slot on the top deck to allow heat out, but this is less appealing as this area was all re glassed when the engine lid was modified and I don't want to disturb work here.

any thoughts anyone?

Would just prefer to bring down surface temp on panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have a rear end pic of your car?
    With a mk4 rear, and like nena , you have the obvious cut outs below the number plate.
    On the mk4, the number plate is quite recessed so on mine its pushed out on spacers by about 15mm to allow air to move around the back through cuts outs which you cannot see as hidden by the plate.
    Can you do this with yours ?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Not sure if you've done this already Jim, but what about fixing reflective material to the underside of the section of the body that's getting hot and seeing how that performs before you start cutting holes in that lovely Nova?

I'm thinking about the sort of material you have on walls behind radiators in houses to reduce heat loss through the wall.

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Not sure if you've done this already Jim, but what about fixing reflective material to the underside of the section of the body that's getting hot and seeing how that performs before you start cutting holes in that lovely Nova?

I'm thinking about the sort of material you have on walls behind radiators in houses to reduce heat loss through the wall.

Alistair
    There's that kind of heat shielding, thats one option and a pretty effective one.
    You could also consider sheet tin or aluminum heat shielding (not sure which one it should be, but you get the idea), if you can "suspend" it a few millimeters away from the body, it would both deflect heat away from the body, and form an air barrier between the shell and shielding to reduce heat transference to the body.
    Its what they use around exhausts under cars, vans and the like to reduce heat transference to the floor under a car, I also believe some cars use similar in the engine bay area, with this in mind, I can't see why it wouldn't work similarly in the engine bay area.

Buffy's idea of the raised number plate to allow airflow is a good one, in one of my early incarnations of my Nova when I had my radiator at the rear I did something very similar to this. You could couple this with some really small fans (think 4 PC cooling fans) along the rear of the number plate to actually blow out the hot air when running.

I did also purchase some heat reflecting material designed for engine bays, but never got around to fitting it. Its very heavy though and would add quite a bit of weight if you did the whole rear panel. The sort of stuff I purchased was similar to this from CBS - It can be glued on so an easy fix solution https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...ive-insulation

Another thing to consider trying is a complete exhaust wrap to keep the heat inside so that it exits the tailpipe rather than radiate on the surroundings. A very neat example of an exhaust wrap can be seen here on Ratrogs car on the Sterling site.

http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/membe...html#post20083
    Last edited by islandman; 23-05-2017 at 01:25 AM.

MGs come with an exhaust heat shield that sits just above the boxes, (stiff black fibrous material about 4 mm thick) there's a boot space a couple of inches above that and I've never noticed that getting hot so it obviously works. Bumper has a small heat outlet built in below the shield level....Photobucket seems to have got over its glitch but I'm not sure it's much of a detail shot:
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Thanks all, some useful ideas for sure. I do like the MG shield idea, and yes would prefer to drill holes in out of site areas.

Here is a picture from during the build - it shows the light panel fitted on the MK1 bumper but without number plate.

The hole in the centre remains, and the number plate is mounted over four large bolt heads that hold the panel in place (it is just wedged in this pic). This means the number plate is raised and air can flow around it, as well as air getting out from around the light panel as it doesn't fit flush to the bumper. I think cutting a hole in the bumper behind this panel is a low cost option that can only help.

19841061721_26b724af82_o.jpg

As you will have seen on Buffy's update we made a local show this weekend - In East Sussex, a Southern Classics meet - at Bentley Wildfowl and Motor Museum.

Martha enjoyed a ride out in the Nova (sunroof glass removed for the first time), a picnic, the minature railway, feeding the ducks and lots of cars including Mark's - she even asked him the important question ............'if your roof sticks shut how do you get out?' !!!!!!!

(She has witnessed me climb out of our sunrooof!)

As we stepped off the train station we heard prize giving had started - and guess who snapped up 3rd place Visitor's Choice!?

Well chuffed - Martha was even more excited than me!

IMG_0598.jpgIMG_0602.jpg
    Last edited by jim73vw; 11-06-2017 at 07:58 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Excellent Jim ..... well done!
    Alistair

A six year old asking me about the sunroof, what next !!!

So pleased that we got both cars together, and this time I could look at some quality close up !