Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    James,
    Interesting to read that are experiencing front wheel wobble at the 50 to 60 mark. I suffered that on the Eureka. Tried wheel alignments, rebalance, new steering damper. The eventual 98% cure was narrower tyres at the front. Now running 205/70/14 front with 235/60/14 on the rear. I say 98% as occasionally there is a slight hint of wobble just after 50mph.

I would have thought that the Red9 wishbone set up would not suffer the wobble.

Bushboy
    I heard that turning the wheel on the hub can occasionally help too

Well that's another car show done, and 250 more miles on the clock.

Like many the journey to Castle Coombe was a very wet one - spray from adjacent HGVs on the A303 hitting up the side windows in the middle of a full storm was the scariest moment!

A small hole in windscreen sealant on the top left corner bond was also discovered! Aside from that and one blown sidelight bulb though all went to plan.

The heater was amazing - if anything too hot at times, so I kept the sunroof cracked open a bit and had a dry screen all the way. Also the intermittent and 2 speed wiper motor worked well, and was worth the money!

Engine wise it was the longest journey without a stop - 3&1/2 hours there, and 2&1/2 back. Also a lot of sitting on idle at the circuit in queues with no drama - fans kicked on on occasion, but temp never over half.

The weather meant steady driving there, but with less rain today the return journey exercised the right foot a lot more!

Having filled up before I set off for work Friday in the Nova I decided to fill up again when I got home and work out an exact MPG. Friday am to Sun pm was 271 miles in total and achieved 37 mpg - pretty respectable for a 2 litre scooby. The gear ratios certainly help - we cruised down the A34 and M3 at 2500-2700 rpm and I was even able to enjoy listening to some albums on the newly set up stereo!

For Martha the highlight of course was the track parade, as I think it was for us all - particularly as the rain held off.

I have posted the link to all pictures taken under the event, but in case you haven't seen it they are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jim73v...57683908754654

Great to see a few Club Members despite rubbish weather a fun day.

Big thanks to Phil for driving Sarah around the circuit - being in a soft top gave some great photo opportunities.

The pictures taken from my car to my left of David driving are actually by Martha - learning fast!

And thanks to Sarah for driving to/from the event with Martha - she still gets pretty tired driving so this was a long trip for her, and she was an excellent cover vehicle again on the M4 when the weather was pretty scary.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Another weekend another classic motor circuit!

This weekend was Goodwood Classic Car Sunday and the Nova was parked up in the paddocks.

Martha was my co-pilot and was amazed by how many people came to chat to us, take pictures and watched when we drove out!

A few pics from the day:

And the Nova hit twitter!

Last edited by jim73vw; 07-08-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    All the best,

Jim

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Martha was my co-pilot and was amazed by how many people came to chat to us, take pictures and watched when we drove out!
    That's because Goodwood have never let a Nova in on a classic theme day before! Well done - although I can't believe your GRRC membership didn't make a difference when your car came up in front of the selection committee.

(the furthest I have ever got is the control tower car park)

I haven't seen many reports from Sunday, what was the turnout like? Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it this month, which is a bit of a bummer as it was probably the best theme of the year for me

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi Jim. my son said he was watching a youtube vid of cars leaving Goodwood and seen a nova on it. i thought he`d got it wrong till i watched it. i must say the Nova looks quite at home amongst the other super cars leaving. nice one Jim.
    should be about 7.20 into the vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k3X3wQ0jHI

Great to see it among the supercars and even two of its design inspirations (the Muira and GT 40).

Also interesting to have the previous conversation on RICE cars proven. The non-supercars had to rely on tire burn outs and being general idiots to get noticed, whilst the cars with great designs only had to drive slowly and have their looks admired by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Hi Jim. my son said he was watching a youtube vid of cars leaving Goodwood and seen a nova on it. i thought he`d got it wrong till i watched it. i must say the Nova looks quite at home amongst the other super cars leaving. nice one Jim.
    should be about 7.20 into the vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k3X3wQ0jHI
    Good spot ! That was actually Supercar Sunday in May when we were in the public parking but went out via the track exit. Actually got an audible cheer from crowd when we raised the roof! Martha took pictures as we left and they were published in this month's Compkete Kit Car!
    All the best,

Jim

All set up at Carfest South - 5 Novas expected tomorrow, 4 Sat and Sun plus Colin's Westfield.

Good run down - very straight forward with Sarah and Martha in the support van!

As we were without sat nag and in convoy a sedate 65-70 mph for most of the run at a nice quiet 2700-2900 rpm (gearbox is my favourite part of the build).

Will get some pictures over the weekend of course.

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg
    All the best,

Jim

Hi all,

Electrical gremlins this week have been testing my patience!

This is the remnants of my roof challenges!

After pressure washing the car off I left it in the garage with the roof off. I returned to see the roof down (keys still in ignition!).

Checking the main roof fuse revealed this

I could only conclude water had bridged some contacts somewhere and allowed the roof pump to run closing it, and running until the fuse blew.

Replacing the fuse all seemed well but a day later and fuses were blowing constantly. Then when I tested and replaced fuse a little later the roof pumped down again!

Removing the interior switches, and key switch made no difference, so that ruled out water in the loom or switches.

In the end I changed out all 4 relays and cross fingers seems fine - but hard to know which one/s failed.

Hopefully my diagnosis is right!
    All the best,

Jim

That sounds very reminiscent of my 2016 Stoneliegh experience. I jet washed the car the morning before the Sunday of the show and then when on the stand the roof pump started powering down for no reason and wouldn't stop until the fuses blew. I suspected water ingress somewhere but never really tracked down the fault fully. I also replaced my relays, interior switches and changed my circuit design to use just two relays (instead of the four I had before). I also fitted a waterproof 12V 60 amp circuit breaker so as to make it easier to diagnose faults without going through lots of fuses. The circuit breaker I have is pretty much the same as the ones CBS sells : https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...ircuit-breaker. May be worth going down the circuit breaker route?

It hasn't happened since (fingers crossed!)

Oh, and we can't miss an opportunity like this to say "Sunroof!" to Buffy