Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Sorry to hear about your windscreen Jim. As you say, it could have been worse!

Many years ago I tried to engineer a forward hinge mechanism similar to BMW 3-series and the like - the rear edges of the bonnet would have pins sliding into rails either side of the boot area, and a pair of hinge bars at the front of the bonnet would allow the front edge to lift up and forward, so that the rear edge of the bonnet did not foul the open canopy.

Not a very clear explanation I'm afraid. In the end I abandoned the idea as being too complicated, and went for a pair of pins at the back edge to locate the bonnet and a single bracket lock on the front, same as the original. What is bothering me now is that I thought with the radiator vents I have there would never be enough pressure build up to flip the bonnet. But your Moonace bonnet has extractor vents too, so bang goes that theory (pardon the unintentional pun).

The very first ADD cars just used Dzus fasteners at each corner of the bonnet, so it would simply lift off.

Lauren
    Thanks Lauren - I agree forward hinging is a complicated optino - particularly given the radiator boxing at the front of the car.

I have never got on that well with Dzus fasteners - I know the principle is good but a part of me always keeps coming back to the reliance on pop rivets.

Whist they are larger I do like the features of the aerocatch bonnet kits - just concerned 4 may be a bit much on a bonnet.

Will keep mulling it over......
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Hi Jim

I was shocked to read of your recent accident with the Nova. Thank goodness you are OK. That's got to be brown trouser time if there ever was one.

For my Nova rebuild having a bonnet saftey mechanism to prevent what happened to you has always been of the highest priority. It just happens that I created a complete bonnet catch solution not too long ago and thought it timely to write it up as an update on my thread. For those who'd like to have a look just jump over to here:

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...l=1#post129321

FOR ALL OWNERS OF NOVAS ON THE ROAD - DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS. SORT OUT A SOLUTION ASAP! Even if it involves a length of string or an old leather strap. Anything to prevent your bonnet flying up, smashing your screen and blinding your vision.

Have just read your post - You certainly did a good job Giles - a very well executed solution - well done.

I really should of spent the amount of time you did on this solution ahead of mine hitting the paintshop, but I didn't so ended up with a lower tech 'solution'.

I saw a neat similar solution on a car at Andy Westgate's workshop this week which I meant to photograph - used hinges, catch and rams from a Porsche Boxster mechanism and was superbly executed too.

Unfortunately to retrofit such a solution to mine now would be challenging as I don't have the space at the front due to boxwork installed for the radiator ducting. I really don't want to mess that about as it is well sealed and cooling has never been an issue.

I am currently erring towards two aerocatches at the front and two smaller retaining pins or dzuz fasteners at the top corners. We shall see.
    All the best,

Jim

don't worry about aero catches, they fit right in but it is a matter of taste, or lack of it.
    Black, carbon fibre or chrome I believe.

IMG758.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Spurred on by the warnings, I finally got around to adding two more tongues to my bonnet arrangement. The bonnet is held in place at the back with bonnet pins and knowing there are now three tongues hooking the front edge in place gives me extra peace of mind. The only downside is the bonnet is a bit more fiddly to take on and off but it's worth the extra effort. Thanks for the timely reminder Jim

IMG_8953.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Spurred on by the warnings, I finally got around to adding two more tongues to my bonnet arrangement. The bonnet is held in place at the back with bonnet pins and knowing there are now three tongues hooking the front edge in place gives me extra peace of mind. The only downside is the bonnet is a bit more fiddly to take on and off but it's worth the extra effort. Thanks for the timely reminder Jim

IMG_8953.jpg
    Good Work Phil, how are they held into the bonnet? Are they glassed on? Any rear view pics?
    All the best,

Jim

They're simply pop riveted in place Jim

IMG_8954.jpg IMG_8955.jpgIMG_8956.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Jim,

I bought the June issue of CKC this afternoon. Whilst we we on the Forum know what happened, your report on 'Smashing Stoneleigh' makes sobering reading .... and the photo of the windscreen still (only just) in place is quite shocking. You were very lucky to get safely to the side of the road.

Your report graphically demonstrates the need for us all to modify our bonnets if we haven't already done so.

I hope you can get her back on the road reasonably soon to make the most of the summer weather.

All the best, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Jim,

I bought the June issue of CKC this afternoon. Whilst we we on the Forum know what happened, your report on 'Smashing Stoneleigh' makes sobering reading .... and the photo of the windscreen still (only just) in place is quite shocking. You were very lucky to get safely to the side of the road.

Your report graphically demonstrates the need for us all to modify our bonnets if we haven't already done so.

I hope you can get her back on the road reasonably soon to make the most of the summer weather.

All the best, Alistair
    Ah, so it made it into the next edition - haven’t seen it myself yet, family break across half term in Spain. Back tomorrow and then to start the rebuild
    All the best,

Jim