Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Jim and Sarah's Nova - The third project !

Another day, another show and another spring setting!

Have ruled out the 125lb as too soft, and currently running on 175lb springs and lowest click setting on shocks. Waiting on some 150lb to test, but ride pretty good currently, and upped tyre pressures slightly as getting some verbal feedback from them at relatively low speed indicating too low.

Anyhow - 3rd Thursday of each month is VW Heritage's Heretics meet - an informal gathering of all things VW.

Got in early to avoid the crush and parked up to a pretty funky Trekker with a great wheel combo and stance.

Nova got a good bit of attention, though amazingly, with the roof only part up a seagull managed to do it's business inside the car, taking out the passenger seat and carpets

19093093_10155447777201079_923639888883130439_o.jpg19105639_10155447316266079_6067685512820331666_n.jpg

Another pleasant drive home and more miles covered. Gearbox oil changed last week as Subarugears box now run in, wheel arch liners fitted to cover up cables and pipes. Slowly chipping away at the list of jobs remaining!
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

You and Nem are certainly getting out and about.

Great to see you showing off such an awesome Nova at every opportunity.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    You and Nem are certainly getting out and about.

Great to see you showing off such an awesome Nova at every opportunity.

Colin
    Cheers Colin.

Was captured on video too! An interior view around 30 seconds in, and then external shots later on

https://www.facebook.com/vwheritage/...4591196267927/
    All the best,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Cheers Colin.

Was captured on video too! An interior view around 30 seconds in, and then external shots later on

https://www.facebook.com/vwheritage/...4591196267927/
    Heh, the nova appeared to be the only one the camera person revisited to any extent. guess they are rare enough to get people to look twice

Been a bit busy in the last few weeks gardening, family bits and the delights of the buggy engine letting me down, but with a decent sunset tonight I hit the road for more spring testing!

Now on the 150lb springs and think I have found a good ride height and setting.

Majority of pot holes and man hole covers soaked up without too much jolting, but equally not so soft that it wallows. Seems more stable at high speed than on the 125lb, and still under hard braking a hint of nose down as weight transfers, more than on the 175lb and seems right.

Do think the front wheels need balancing, or perhaps even tyres changing (possible slight flat spot from standing for a while), as a slight wheel wobble at 50-60, but lose it at higher speeds. May even go slightly narrower on front tyre settings to help with steering etc.

Overall feeling happy, and may turn to reviewing rear settings shortly.

Even tested out my new speakers and mp3 player on the way home!

Progress!
    All the best,

Jim

Sounds great Jim. Wish I was at that stage too! .... just wondering, when my Nova was last on the road (1991) there were no such things as speed bumps. Just wondering how the Nova copes with such things? Looking at old photos of my car I can't see how she could possibly get over them .... ?

My first Nova had 3 inch dropped floorpans, and the seat bolts used to find the road alarmingly when it did sudden unusual changes (there was a junction at Abinger Common that got it every single time - like you there were no actual speed bumps at the time! The present one has a stock un-lowered floorpan, and although the suspension is very lowered it (so far) has never had a problem with a speed bump.
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Sounds great Jim. Wish I was at that stage too! .... just wondering, when my Nova was last on the road (1991) there were no such things as speed bumps. Just wondering how the Nova copes with such things? Looking at old photos of my car I can't see how she could possibly get over them .... ?
    Good question! Early road tests with larger rear wheels than front did create issues on speed bumps. At that point I didn't have the small front shock top spacers on place and hadn't adjusted the Red 9 kit at all.

Now it is all set up, and wheels are a uniform 15" all round with matching rubber (though I may go slightly thinner up front eventually) the ride height is good and better then my first Nova. (I did once have to ask Sarah to get out so we could exit a country show with a very furrowed track!).

Our drive exits onto a private lane which is very bumpy and presents no issues and we have a lot of speed cushions. My pans are lowered and have caught only one when off loading from a trailer during the build.

I suspect if I launched over a hump too fast the sump could catch as the back bounced down but that would be if driving way too fast. The bottom of the shock cups on the IRS are at the same height as the sump, so it isn't silly low at all.

Overall I am happy - I catch underparts of the daily Skoda more often!
    All the best,

Jim

James,
    Interesting to read that are experiencing front wheel wobble at the 50 to 60 mark. I suffered that on the Eureka. Tried wheel alignments, rebalance, new steering damper. The eventual 98% cure was narrower tyres at the front. Now running 205/70/14 front with 235/60/14 on the rear. I say 98% as occasionally there is a slight hint of wobble just after 50mph.

I would have thought that the Red9 wishbone set up would not suffer the wobble.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    James,
    Interesting to read that are experiencing front wheel wobble at the 50 to 60 mark. I suffered that on the Eureka. Tried wheel alignments, rebalance, new steering damper. The eventual 98% cure was narrower tyres at the front. Now running 205/70/14 front with 235/60/14 on the rear. I say 98% as occasionally there is a slight hint of wobble just after 50mph.

I would have thought that the Red9 wishbone set up would not suffer the wobble.

Bushboy
    When my Nova was last on the road over 25 years ago I remember a similar problem. I was running on 215/60/14 front with 265/50/14 on the back. Obviously I'll need new tyres when I get her back on the road, so I think I'll be looking for narrower ones.

Cheers, Alistair