Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Coombe Race Circuit - Family Fun Day 24 June

Castle Coombe Race Circuit - Family Fun Day 24 June

All
    Just edited the title of this post to show it's a Fun Day rather than weekend. I have received the response to my application and it states that the 'free camping' on Saturday night is by prior approval only. If you want to come on Saturday and stay over in the camping area I need your name and car reg by midday Friday (22 Jun) or circuit security won'let you stay.
    Mick

Hi all

I just found this interesting looking event on a local kitcar website and wondered if anyone else might be interested in attending:
    ---------------
    We are organising a motorsport weekend at Castle Combe circuit on 23/24 June.

This is a follow-on from our successful centenary weekend there last year, and it comprises our regular Dick Mayo Sprint on the Saturday, a party with Hog Roast supper and live music in the paddock in the evening, free overnight camping (for anyone so inclined - or over the limit!) and on Sunday a day's entertainment under the general title "Family Sports Car Day."

We want to put on a display of Sports Cars, centred on the themes of 50 Years of the AC Cobra, 50 Years of the Triumph Spitfire, and 50 years of the Ford (Lotus) Cortina. As well as the opportunity to display cars in the paddock alongside other equally interesting sports cars, we're offering some family-friendly entertainment, as we did last year, plus paced parade laps on the circuit.

We will be joined from lunchtime onwards by participants in the Chipping Sodbury Rotary Club Classic Run - 160 classic cars will show up and be on display for the afternoon, half of whom will also take to the track.

It will be free to attend to display a car, but a charge of £10 per car to get out on the track.

I'm contacting you to see if you and your members would be interested in attending and putting on a BKCC display - 6-10 cars would be good, and all welcome to take up the invitation to the Saturday evening party and the parade laps on the Sunday.

I just wanted to gauge your reaction: if you're interested we will in due course send out more formal invitations with RSVPs etc.

Regards

I will be going and camping over the weekend (the weather is supposed to be good) and will have some of the Club Nova equipment with me so will set up a Club Nova stand and can provide refreshments.

Please let me know if you fancy it by PM or respond here.

Thanks.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Re: Castle Coombe Race Circuit - Family Fun Weekend 23/24 June

Hi All

The organisers are enthusiastic to have Nova's turn up - even if its only one.

I have put my name down for the laps of the circuit (behind a pace car) so we'll see how good the tyres and suspension really are .

I'm also taking a pushbike to cycle the circuit on Sunday lunchtime (weather permitting) so we'll also see the slowest lap of the day .

If anyone else is coming along look out for the Club Nova flag and Green Gazebo, either in the car display area or the camping area.

See you there
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Re: Castle Coombe Race Circuit - Family Fun Day 24 June

See update to initial post regarding camping at the circuit.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

It was great fun - if a bit wet to start with.

Sue and I got to the circuit late Saturday afternoon (as it had been raining most of the day we decided to give the Saturday sprint races a miss). The torrential rain stopped just long enough for us to get the awning on the caravan and get the small Gazebo over MicksRedNova (the first time its ever been used for that since I bought it).

Denis - Nova owner, Club Nova member and visitor to this forum was there to give us a hand in the windy conditions. Thanks Denis.

It bucketed down all night long finally stopping around 4am

But on Sunday the weather was fine, if windy, and got quite sunny later on.

Denis gave me a hand to erect the Gazebo up on the display area - it was so windy we couldn't get the sides on without risking a parachute flight. We stayed mostly isolated on our patch of grass all day, most of the others (about 100 cars of all makes and ages) were on the hard standing further up the paddock.
    Mark (Badwolf on this forum) also came and said hello during the day.

I had plenty of chances to get out on the track initially alone but later my daughter turned up and acted as balast I mean passenger.

Later on in the afternoon the organisers of the event Bristol Motor Club announced the winner of their 'vote for your favourite car of the day' competition - and b*gger me I won

I could feel the daggers from the Cobra drivers, E-Type Jag owners and spit 'n' polish brigade but happily accepted the bottle of bubbly and voucher as prize from the BMC chairman.

This was seriously great fun - for £10 I got about 16 laps (behind a pace car) in 4 sessions. The Nova went well - especially when the 'Sunday drivers' weren't in front of me.

Daughter took some iPhone video of some laps which I will post here once I get it.

I'll let you know when the next one is on.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Mick,
    Well done,
    So how fast were you allowed to go?
    How did it handle?
    How many cars did you overtake?

Is it a once a year day or are there likely to be others?

Nice one

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Mick,

The car looked great on the track, good photos!

Also glad that you didn't have any more engine mishaps

Cheers

Islandman, yes it went great with the 1600 engine in it. The new camshaft is finally run-in so I will be taking the heads off to fit the high-compression spings that came in the Scat camshaft kit over the next couple of weeks and then need to tune the Weber carb and re-fit the electronic ignition as there's still a bit of hesitation. But overall a great improvement from the old 1200.

Bushboy, the pace car ran at 'modest speed' to comply with MSA regulations. In reality that was around 50mph on the 'out lap' and 65 to 70 mph on the 'flying lap(s)' along the start finish straight. My best runs were when I was directly behind the pace car as he followed the racing line and kept a high consistent speed. On the laps where I was further down the pack the guys in front kept slowing through the twisty (fun) part so they could build a gap to the pace car and then floor it along the straight. Following a white Zephyr / Zodiac was particularly slow as he wallowed round the corners like an ocean liner . Overtaking wasn't allowed .

The Nova stuck like glue, at the end of the fastest 'straight' bit round Quarry corner I got a four wheel drift with tyre squeal on a couple of laps - daughter still very pale - but realise what 'bump steer' is all about after trying to ride the kerbs through The Esses and Bobbies chicanes .

This event is an annual one but the Bristol Motor Club runs a number of different events throughout the year - some including on track running. I will post details of any future 'interesting' stuff here on the forum.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Well done Mick

Great to see a Nova on track at the Combe again

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

For a comprehensive list of all the cars and some pictures of the cars on the track see below for link to BMC report.

http://www.bristolmc.org.uk/FSD.htm

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Re: Castle Coombe Race Circuit - MicksRedNova on the Track

Hi all

Reminded by the footage of the Eureka's from the Aussie club at Bathurst I finally uploaded the video to YouTube here: http://youtu.be/1sLfVfHgECo

Sorry about the shakiness and random commentary - my daughter and her iPhone to blame for both!!

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)