Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Blues...

Great to see your progress Lauren. It's looking great!

Being at the other end of the Nova spectrum (ie restoring the chassis) I found myself dreaming whilst driving my daughter's Citroen DS3 today ... I was wondering if the DS3 dash would fit the Nova, but have put it to the back of my mind because I'm so far away from that stage! One thing I have decided though, is that my Mk2 dash won't feature in my Nova when it eventually gets back on the road!

Anyway, as others have said to me recently .... slow progress is still progress!!

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking very, very nice 👍

Very nice work Lauren!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Its nice to see the fit and finish heading towards OEM quality. Once done it will be unique and fit in with your overall 70's theme perfectly. I really like your Digi Dash display, very professional looking as well as being totally functional.

Keep up the progress and updates to inspire us all, its seems like a long time to go before I can do too much more on finishing my own interior.

It is looking very nice. Do you think the car will be at Stones next year?

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Thanks for your encouraging comments guys, it's greatly appreciated!

Alistair - as Dave (Islandman) has demonstrated, OEM instrument pods and even complete dashboards can be adapted to fit the Nova. I personally find the Mk2 dashboard a bit bland, so I would fully endorse your plan to replace it. I believe the base of the dash is actually the same as the Mk1, so if you preferred the twin pods (or just a single pod) that could be an easy option. Or you could make your own...

Dirk - I am getting closer to being back on the road, so I would like to think Stones is a possibility. I have had a couple of setbacks however - the company making my plastic windows cancelled the order after 3 months of waiting, its a long story but the upshot is I have bought a sheet of Lexan Excell D 4mm polycarbonate and will have a go myself. Rear window is cut to size now and I have just received a polycarbonate window bonding kit. There is enough clear polycarbonate to do the rear window and headlamp covers. More news as it happens...

The other problem is the offset wiper motor that I have been using - when I cut out the canopy inner skin to allow the motor to sit over to the right, the outer skin distorted, taking the windscreen flange with it and allowing the screen to debond in this area. I have no intention of that happening with the new screen in place, so have been working to try and correct this distortion. My initial attempt did not work, so I am having to go back and do it again

Only minor setbacks, but the weather is deteriorating now so opportunities to do remedial fibreglass work with the canopy upside down on the front lawn are becoming few and far between...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looking great Lauren, really like the centre console and the mini-panel by the drivers side pocket.

I changed from Mk1 Pods to a Mk2 swoopy dash on my first car, so yes the under-dash panel seems to be the same between the Mk1 and Mk2.

IMO it is easier to get a 'good' finish with the Mk2 dash compared to Mk1, I like the Mk2 dash actually, but rather like the Mk2 wrap-around rear bumper, it appear to less popular these days.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    You're quite right Steve - and with something like 800 Mk2s manufactured, compared with less than 200 Mk1s, the gullwing dash and wraparound rear bumper must have had its fans. 800 happy customers can't be wrong
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    the gullwing dash and wraparound rear bumper must have had its fans. 800 happy customers can't be wrong
    that assumes they had a choice of options when ordering ....

That's looking awesome! I'm taking notes and ideas from this thank you
    1971 Mini 1275 GT (see photos)

1980 Nova (see photos)