Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Blues...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    With so many high-quality restorations in progress I was feeling a bit guilty about my floorpans, which although originally treated with zinc-rich primer and stonechip have been worn down to bare metal over the years. So before I put new carpets down I thought I would spruce them up a bit......................

.................... Not much more to report at the moment, other than the Nav computer display module has bee successfully replaced, and the heater fan now has a nice wiring plug...

Lauren
    Nice work Lauren!
    I agree with Mark ... your Nova is quite unique, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing it one day.
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Thanks guys. Well, I've given up issuing predictions on when I will be back on the road, as I have missed so many deadlines in the past. I will just keep plugging away and hope I don't run into any major issues. There aren't many more mountains to climb now, but I still have to sort out my headlamp covers (acrylic paint has been bought, high performance masking tape for the body primer, polyurethane adhesive) canopy interior trim (with side window demister vents) and the side windows themselves, with openings...

I think there is every chance that I could make it to Stoneleigh next year, all being well

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I Know what you mean Lauren, I also have given up as when, let alone what year but I had better get a wriggle on as 73 is just weeks away I may not only find it increasingly difficult (even after loosing 3 1/2 stone) to get in and out but might not be around at all.

Slogging on is just what is needed.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Lauren,

It has been a while since you last cast a shadow at stones. Would be great to see you & the green monster again.

At least it is not hiding under a tarp at the back of the shed forgotten about.

Oh, to have a cosy & dry interior on a nova. My daily driver Eureka doesn't even have carpet!

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Dashboard Progress...

So, how’s the dashboard rework going, I hear you ask. Not as quickly as I would like, is the reply, but here’s where we are at…

I had the same problem with the dashboard texture as I had with the headlamp buckets – the finish was too spikey and snagged the fibre out of any cloth, leaving lots of mess. So I had to treat the whole of the dashboard to a light sanding with wet’n’dry, followed by a top coat of satin black. I also masked up the bodywork around the edge of the dashboard and treated that to some texture as well, which makes the view with the canopy open a lot tidier. Overall I think it has turned out pretty well…

...No matter which direction you look...

So it was time to move on to the next challenge – the canopy interior trim panels. Now I do have the two panels that finish off the inside of the canopy, but the problem is they fit very poorly around the dashboard ends, and with the new demister vents needing to line up perfectly I had to do something about it.

My solution was to make a former out of cardboard covered with resin-proof tape that would follow the line of the dashboard, covering the hydraulic ram fittings and the dashboard ends so that a vent can be embedded. Once the canopy is closed, the trim panel will seal around the vent hole in the dash so that all the heated air will exit onto the side window. The accurately fitted part will be at the front of the canopy, and my plan is trim the original side panels down so that they bolt in from the canopy hinge recess backwards.

With a thin scrim of fibreglass laid up over the former, I glued on sheets of foam and then shaped them to fit around the dash and windscreen A pillar. The overall result is not too bad, although I need to tweak the top line where the access to the canopy hinge bolts caused the former to sag a bit.

As you can see, I am still building up the level of the panel to match the inside contour of the dashboard end. The pencil lines indicate where the vent duct will sit.

Work in progress!

Lauren

Really impressed with your dashboard and general interior styling Lauren ... excellent original work!!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Lauren
    As ever, stunning work and it look amazing.
    Would love to see your car one day 👍

Looking very good. Is that Ethafoam you are using? I have thought about using it for some projects but never got around to giving it a try, can it be filed and sanded or does it have to be cut with a knife?

Dirk

why not just use 2 part PU foam contained in cardboard that is oversized? I find it easier to cut back and shape rather than build up slowly. If you go too far its easy enough to add more foam back. That's basically the process I used for several parts of my dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking very good. Is that Ethafoam you are using? I have thought about using it for some projects but never got around to giving it a try, can it be filed and sanded or does it have to be cut with a knife?

Dirk
    Hi Dirk - it isn't Ethafoam, it is polyurethane foam sheet, which is available in a range of thicknesses. I use the 1cm stuff for all the fabrication work on the dash top, hexatile appliques and so on. I don't think the Ethafoam is as easy to sand or shape, but this foam is very easy to use. I tend to use an old hacksaw blade for coarse trimming, plus various profile files and sandpaper...

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    why not just use 2 part PU foam contained in cardboard that is oversized? I find it easier to cut back and shape rather than build up slowly. If you go too far its easy enough to add more foam back. That's basically the process I used for several parts of my dashboard
    Hi Dave - as you know, I have used 2-part foam to good effect on the dashboard for backfilling, but I find it is difficult to judge the expanded volume so for this kind of work I prefer the sheet material. It is exactly the same material though, just pre-cut into sheet form.