Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Blues...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I had the same dilema and was going to get a professional company to do it - but Dirk persauded me to go ahead and try fitting it myself. I'm glad I did because it was straight forward enough to do, and knowing the cost of a new screen meant I was ultra cautious when doing it something a fitter may be a bit more blase about when used to fitting screens day in and day out. There's also the satisfaction at having done it yourself
    Lauren,

Dirk has been an inspiration to a lot of us. Phill's absolutely right, especially about being ultra cautious since it's your own.

I was a 'welding virgin' a while back, but the Forum encouraged me to learn a new skill and I achieved it. More recently, I'd never changed a ball joint and was intimidated by the thought of tackling the front ball joints, but Dirk and Alex extolled the virtues of having the right tools, so I bought a 20t press and my new ball joints are all in place now.

As long as you do your research, and get some physical help to position the screen (are there any Forum members with experience of installing a windscreen near you?) you'll be fine ..... after all, just look at what you've achieved so far, .... one of the most individual Novas there is!!

Alistair

I was a bit apprehensive about fitting my screen especial as it didn't fit very well in the aperture it sat proud in some sections and was a bit low in other areas so I used a rubber trim

I think you have the obscuring band on your screen so do not need to black out the edges but I just used some masking tape and thinned the PU adhesive from CBS

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...dhesivesealant

I then used enough PU to fill the gaps in hind sight I used slightly too much PU and it took a while to clean off the oozed bits.

Give it a go worst that will happen is it goes wrong you have another go or the admit defeat and get someone else to do it.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Thanks Dirk, good advice as always. As you say, my windscreen has an obscuration band, which protects the adhesive immediately below from UV damage. I did wonder about using that rubber trim (I think there is an adhesive bead applied around the windscreen groove), but I am concerned that the bodywork flange isn't really deep enough, and I do like the flush fit of the screen without the edge trim. So I will probably bond the screen in as originally intended, without edge trim and just hope that UV degradation isn't too bad around the exposed edges.

It's good to hear that CBS PU adhesive seems to do the job OK. I use plenty of that around the car, although I have bought some proper adhesive (including body and glass primer) to do the windscreen. I will let you know how I get on.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

A bit more progress on the outside...

The new access covers for the lights are in place. The nearside one has a pronounced twist in it to follow the contours of the wing...

As you can see, from the top they are almost parallel.

Overall I think they look OK, and obviously help to keep the weather out.

The Nova has such a great profile, I just couldn't resist taking another picture...

Windscreen in place. Second attempt to backfill around the edge was slightly more successful (thanks for your advice Dirk), but still a bit more to do before I am completely happy.

There's more news on the inside, but I will get to that another time...

Lauren
    Last edited by Spacenut; 18-05-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Your cars looking great Lauren - and well done for fitting the screen yourself.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Lightbulb

She's looking absolutely stunning Lauren ... bet you can't wait to get her street legal again!

I agree with you on the car's profile. She sits nice and low too!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Your cars looking great Lauren - and well done for fitting the screen yourself.
    Thanks Phill - my friend Neville was on hand to provide a helping hand, and has been a great source of advice too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    She's looking absolutely stunning Lauren ... bet you can't wait to get her street legal again!

I agree with you on the car's profile. She sits nice and low too!

Alistair
    Thanks Alistair - you're right, I really do want to get back on the road now, it's been far too long!

When I designed the chassis I placed the engine and gearbox at the wheel centre height so that the chassis would sit level to the ground. Clearance is only for road use though, 4" under the floorpans

Lauren

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Superb work , as always Lauren 👍

Light covers look good Lauren.

Are they sealed using any sealant or rubber seal? I fitted mine recently but found water got round them so need to rethink.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Light covers look good Lauren.

Are they sealed using any sealant or rubber seal? I fitted mine recently but found water got round them so need to rethink.
    Thanks Jim. I am still thinking about sealing them with adhesive. I have used the same primer for the obscuration banding as I used for the windscreen, and scuffed up the surface first etc. The nylon screws were only there as a backup to stop the differential heating debonding the covers. And all the bulbs can be accessed from the access covers so in theory there should be no need to take the covers off.

That said, as we have discussed before, getting into the aperture to clean condensation and dirt etc. won't be easy, and I cannot hermetically seal the lights in like modern cars do...

But yes, the plan is to bond the light covers in place.