Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Blues...

Re: Dashboard Blues...

I agree, somehow a LED or LCD display realy makes a Nova look the part.
    I wouldn't swap my MG dash. just the ticket.

Looks a lot better under the black perspex cover of course.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Lauren,
    I know you have the Dakota gauges already, but I happened on these the other night looking for smaller style gauges for another project: http://intellitronix.com/
    I really like their individual pieces, but their all-in-ones will fit perfectly in my Aquila dashboard!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Out of interest, I used to see adverts in the electronic press for the "Burlington 2001" dashboard system, but could never get the money together to buy the kit. Is that what your drawings are from, or are they your own work?

Lauren[/quote]

Hi lauren,

Yes it is the Burlington 2001 I have just found it and was going to scan it tomorrow so Dan could put it on the site, but bugger me it is still being sold and apparently has a copyright here is the site http://www.turn-the-crank.com/

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Well, who would have thought it!

I always wondered if "Burlington 2001" and the people who made those retro 30s-style 2-seaters were one and the same. Seemed a bit odd that the car was a pre-war pastiche while the dashboard was its complete antithesis!

Great to see that the designs were exactly the same as the ones I have been using - LM3914 etc. I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not buying the plans in the 1980s!

I looked into using the Brantz speed sensor to interface with the Nav computer, but in the end plumped for the Dakota Digital SGI-5 digital speed interface - it takes the output of my AC generator and converts it into signals the computer can use, as well as the DD speedo. Fuel flow sensor is from the MG Maestro digidash (thanks Peter!), which should be compatible with the Rover unit, so as long as I get the calibration right (another advantage of the SGI-5), the trip readouts and the speed will both be accurate.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7
    Lauren,
    I know you have the Dakota gauges already, but I happened on these the other night looking for smaller style gauges for another project: http://intellitronix.com/
    I really like their individual pieces, but their all-in-ones will fit perfectly in my Aquila dashboard!
    Hi Rick - thanks for the link. The 5 and 6-gauge combined panel is very close to what I am aiming for, but uses LEDs instead of VFD. LEDs are by CREE who have good grounding in hyperbright devices, with PIC microcontrollers to drive them, which is the way you do it these days. I must admit I baulk at the idea of writing software to control an analogue bar graph (I dislike writing machine code intensely), but I'm sure its a walk in the park for todays tech-savvy cyber geeks!

Although I like the displays, Intellitronix don't seem to do a linear bar graph speedo or tachometer, only a 270° display on their individual gauges. Even DD and Cyberdyne (another manufacturer of VFD displays in the late 90s, who should be starting production of Terminators in the near future) didn't do particularly nice bar graphs. One of the reasons I am making my own.

Lauren

OK, I've been a bit quiet recently, this is because I have been frantically working (at work), but also on the car. Here is a quick update, although I should state I have actually achieved quite a lot more than shown here, I just haven't got round to photographing it yet!

This is the cold air plenum which is fed from the nose intakes. I have created a sealed box around the front part of the centre tunnel using carbon fibre sheet (the green stuff at the bottom) and hand laid fibreglass side panels. As you can see, the elements are bonded in place using PU adhesive.

The 3-speed SPAL fan from my old Europa Spares heater sits on top of the air box and feeds the air upwards. Since these pictures were taken I have fabricated a blender box which has a flap that shuts off the airflow to the heater core when the water valve is switched off, and an enclosure for the aluminium heater core (lighter than the old Europa one, and hopefully no less efficient), all out of bonded fibreglass sheet. The heater location is critical to the positioning of the telecam monitor, so I had to design and build that first. More pictures to follow...

Here's my tachometer display driver board, with the 20 transistor high side drivers in place, and the PWM dimming circuit. I've used a 20-way ribbon cable I recovered from my old PC, together with a separate power connector to interface to the display module...

...Which looks a little bit like this at the moment! Scale illumination is by white SMD strip LEDs, also connected via the PWM dimming circuit. Also evident is my "deliberate" mistake - the scale legend should read "rpm x 1000", but it is just a test print. I made the mask using laserjet printing film. Once duplicated and overlaid with a diffuser, the result looks reasonable. I will have to see about getting the graphics done more professionally at a later date.

The good news is that my office is currently squintingly bright with evening sunshine, and the scale illumination and bar graph segments are easily visible in daylight. The potentiometer on the PWM board controls the brightness in "night" mode.

More news soon!

Lauren

Yes - you have been busy. Love that linear tacho and the vero driver board.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Laure,
    You are one devoted girl. I thought I was always biting off more than I could chew. My "simple" battery move has tured into a 4 wheels off 3 month hibernation.

Like your electronics & also how neat the circuit is looking.

Great work

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

IMPRESSIVE work Lauren. Very nice.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Sweet! If you like, Lauren, you can send me a scaled drawing of your ..um... scale, and I could either replicate it for you as a cut vinyl transfer or as a print on a single vinyl sheet. Both should last the lifetime of the car, especially if you put a clear coat on the entire panel before you put a diffuser on.