Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485

Thread: Dirk's Avante

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Will you be offering these in different colours Dirk?

Surely the limiting factor with Braking is the tyres grip on the road? I can easily lock up my front wheels (which are fitted with standard Beetle Discs) so unless I implement other measures to increase the grip of the front wheels on the road surface, or increase the braking effect from the back wheels, bigger brakes on the front will have no real effect or am I missing something?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Surely the limiting factor with Braking is the tyres grip on the road? I can easily lock up my front wheels (which are fitted with standard Beetle Discs) so unless I implement other measures to increase the grip of the front wheels on the road surface, or increase the braking effect from the back wheels, bigger brakes on the front will have no real effect or am I missing something?

No I don't think you are missing anything you are using a standard VW set up, I think the people struggling to lock the wheels have all changed to new pedal boxes with separate master cylinders and bias bars. It was very hard for me to lock my front wheels I could do it at the MOT station pushing my back into my seat and pulling on the steering wheel, but I could not do that on the road.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Dirk
    I have no PM.
    Either you canít send, or I canít receive !! 😂
    I tried again tonight but your in box or sent items are too full you need to delete some.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I tried again tonight but your in box or sent items are too full you need to delete some.

Dirk
    Just had a good dump / clear out !!!

Blog Entries
    Agree with Dirk that you are spot on here...
    But further, the tendency to lock the front wheels is a limitation of the Stock Beetle braking set-up (when used on the Nova).
    The Nova has less weight on the Front axle than a Beetle, and less weight transfer forward when you hit the brakes (guess), hence the tendency to lock the front wheels when breaking heavily.
    The stock braking system was designed for a slightly heavier car than yours, with (closer to) 50/50 weight distribution. The reason some owners go for a balance bar is to compensate for this and hopefully improve braking.

Having said all that, I ran my first Nova on a stock VW brakes (Disk/Drum) without any issues.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Agree with Dirk that you are spot on here...
    But further, the tendency to lock the front wheels is a limitation of the Stock Beetle braking set-up (when used on the Nova).
    The Nova has less weight on the Front axle than a Beetle, and less weight transfer forward when you hit the brakes (guess), hence the tendency to lock the front wheels when breaking heavily.
    The stock braking system was designed for a slightly heavier car than yours, with (closer to) 50/50 weight distribution. The reason some owners go for a balance bar is to compensate for this and hopefully improve braking.

Having said all that, I ran my first Nova on a stock VW brakes (Disk/Drum) without any issues.
    Absolutely spot-on Steve - apart from the 50:50 bit

The VW Beetle in stock trim has something like a 40:60 weight distribution, but does have more weight transfer under braking than the Nova as you say. Depending on the specification some Novas are in the 30:70 category, primarily due to the relocation of the fuel tank over the transaxle, the occupants moving to where the rear seats were and often non-VW engines which are heavier and in many cases have water radiators fitted in the back too.

But as Dirk correctly points out, a dual master cylinder/balance bar set up is more difficult to lock up, because the smallest diameter cylinder bore is 0.6", which is not much smaller than the Beetle single bore cylinder, and you have to push two of them, which increases the pedal effort considerably. Of course we could change the pedal pivot point to improve the leverage, but that would make the pedal travel too long.

It's all a big compromise, unfortunately

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Looks like the paving slabs and bags of cement I currently have in the boot of my Capri (to improve it's road holding) will have to be transferred to the front compartment of my Nova to improve it's braking
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Looks like the paving slabs and bags of cement I currently have in the boot of my Capri (to improve it's road holding) will have to be transferred to the front compartment of my Nova to improve it's braking
    Hi Phill, it will do wonders for the steering input response. Many, many moons ago I was a proud owner of a Simca Rally One (and a half... *Rally Two engine*) Simca's are Rear-engined, lacking weight on the front axle, until I started rebuilding my home. The bags of cement in the front transformed the car into the most responsive car I ever owned, although acceleration suffered a lot..
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT