Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 411 to 419 of 419

Thread: Dirk's Avante

  1. #411
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    umm... going on how having miss matched suspension on my radio controlled competition cars can cause some "interesting things" to happen, I would strongly suggest swapping out the other one too, rather than leaving them mismatched...

    Crashing and wrecking a radio controlled car is one thing since there's no body in there to make things messy, having similar problems on a full sized car?
    No thanks.
    Dirk,

    I have to agree with Gaisa here.

    If you had an accident and the Police, or an insurance claims chap inspected the car, I suspect you'd not get a payout of any claim. However, it could be even worse (personal injury to you or others) ....

    I'd definitely keep both sides the same.

    Alistair

  2. #412
    Look whose car has been in the press! and a Euro Nova mention too


    Well done Dirk



    Get your copy at the shops and see Jim's latest updates too

  3. #413
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    4,984
    Sounds like an "Alfa chassis". A rare find indeed
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  4. #414
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Look whose car has been in the press! and a Euro Nova mention too


    Well done Dirk



    Get your copy at the shops and see Jim's latest updates too
    Great article, and much credit to Dirk for getting your Avante appreciated by the new owner to help him with his build!

    If you look at ... http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...igh-2018/page5 ... there's a photo quite far down the page of the new owner eyeing up the Avante, as Bushboy is walking towards him. Photo was one of many submitted by Alex.

    I recall they tried to sell the chassis on eBay after Stones but I don't know if it sold.

    Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

    Alistair

  5. #415
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    897
    I thought I would move the story over here.
    Thanks for all the support and helpful suggestions.

    So the latest is the car is still in Wiltshire the recovery people didn't have any drivers with enough hours to get me and the car home on Friday its a 6 hour round trip. So the RAC got me a taxi home 200 miles!!! suited me I had a beer in the pub whilst waiting for it and sleep all the way back, I got in around 1 am.
    I don't think the whole thing really hit me until Saturday morning and then I had that knotted feeling in my stomach and so stressed. I spoke to the recover people and gave them strict instructions that the car must come back home and that no oneone else can have it moved anywhere, they have assured me that they will bring it early next week. The insurance company for the daft tart that hit me phoned to say that she accepted full responsibility so they would be happy to deal with me directly rather than going through my insures. Needles to say I said thanks but no thanks, my insurance policy like all of yours is quite different to Joe blogs I have agreed Value and a nil deduction on salvage retention. So I get to keep the car for nothing if it is written off, which I kind of suspect it will be.
    As to the amount of damage and how repairable it is Ill not know until I get it back and have a proper look, the force was enough to hit and brake the crank pulley



    and the car is now stuck in gear, but can still be moved when the clutch is pressed.

    Dirk

  6. #416
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    545
    Blog Entries
    1
    Interesting to hear your comments on Insurance, something for us all to be aware of.

    Quite a whack evident there, the body was pushed-in quite a way...
    It is a worry that the car won't go into gear... I doubt the engine could have been be pushed (back) off its mountings to damage the shifter rod... or some other part of the mech...?

  7. #417
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    897
    So the car came back home today, no worse than I left her on Friday, so that is one worry off my mind. The insurance company asked me today if I knew of a garage that had specialist knowledge of this car that I could get a quote from. I explained that it was a 47 year old car and that I am only aware of 3 others on the road so finding a garage that knows anything about them was remote. So they have asked for a load of photos which I sent tonight. Ill see what happens tomorrow.

    Dirk

  8. #418
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    So the car came back home today, no worse than I left her on Friday, so that is one worry off my mind. The insurance company asked me today if I knew of a garage that had specialist knowledge of this car that I could get a quote from. I explained that it was a 47 year old car and that I am only aware of 3 others on the road so finding a garage that knows anything about them was remote. So they have asked for a load of photos which I sent tonight. Ill see what happens tomorrow.

    Dirk
    Dirk, is it worth suggesting Flatlands? They have lots of experience of the VW chassis, suspension, engine/gearbox, etc, and aren't they currently repairing fibreglass for Steve? Their welding appears to be excellent so any repairs to the framework under your body wouldn't be a problem. From the pictures I've seen on this Forum, I'm sure they're definitely very well qualified to carry out the repairs to your VW based Avante.

    .... and they'd be able to fit coil overs and through rods to both sides of the car whilst they were at it

    Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 10-07-2018 at 07:46 AM.

  9. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Dirk, is it worth suggesting Flatlands? They have lots of experience of the VW chassis, suspension, engine/gearbox, etc, and aren't they currently repairing fibreglass for Steve? Their welding appears to be excellent so any repairs to the framework under your body wouldn't be a problem. From the pictures I've seen on this Forum, I'm sure they're definitely very well qualified to carry out the repairs to your VW based Avante.

    .... and they'd be able to fit coil overs and through rods to both sides of the car whilst they were at it

    Alistair
    Good idea re Flatlands - they have multi disciplines for sure and can comment on mechanical and bodywork.

    I would want an expert's opinion on the engine too - the force to shatter that pulls could have impacted on internals too.

    I really feel for you Dirk, I once lost a prized beetle to an engine fire and had put lots of time and money into it.

    Hope you get the info together without too much stress,
    All the best,

    Jim

    Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics



    Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •