Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Dirk,
    So pleased to see you have a silver lining to the cloud of being rear ended!

My Eureka was also a Writeoff when Mr Knob reversed into it while it was parked out side. Unfortunately for me the funds were not able to be poured back into the Eureka 100% so I still have the VW 4 speed.

A good move to take advantage of the misfortune to improve your Advante. Time to change it's name now to Advantage (Dirk)

Cheer
    Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I got a bit done over the weekend, before the initial conversation with the insurance company when they were saying a cat S, I saw these IRS trailing arms so I bought them and they turned up on Saturday

after a bit of work in the blast cabinet

And painted

I also removed the controversial gear box bracket

The ironic thing is that while the insurance company where deciding if the bracket was structural or not, it wont even be replaced as the Subaru gearbox doesn't use it.

I collected my bars and 250Lb springs for the front Red9 coil-overs today so they are now fitted, it still looks a little low on the front but the back end is up on axle stands which might be pushing the front down. I also orded my rear uni-ball coil overs.
    Whilst at Red 9 I was talking to Simon about some of his bus conversions and Subarugears and it turns out there is a guy with a unit in the next village to me that sells all the conversion bits. So a quick phone call to him he has the bits in stock, it works out the same price as getting it from Aus, but I can go and collect and have a UK time zone support. bit of a result.

Hopefully the insurance money will go into my account overnight, as I have a big shopping list just waiting to be orded.

Dirk

Dirk,

When that silly *** ran into your back end, I suggested Flatlands for an independent report for the insurance companies.

But at the rate you're going, dare I say it, you're probably as well qualified as them, if not better, to repair your Avante.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of your rebuild! A grey cloud with silver linings, eh?

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update, Good work on the trailing arms.
    Did you really mean 250 Lbs per inch for the front springs?
    For the Nova, the poundage is 100+ Lbs ... Why the big difference, what am I missing?

I would be interested in what's on your SubaruGears shopping list ;-)
    What Final drive are you going for? Which Scooby engine?
    Are you doing the gearbox conversion yourself?

I know a handful guys have gone for the Red 9 *rear* coil-over conversion.
    I didn't on my build, because I couldn't see a killer reason to do so...
    The VW standard IRS torsion bar with a height adjuster + adjustable shocker seemed to fit the bill, or is there something I haven't considered?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice update, Good work on the trailing arms.
    Did you really mean 250 Lbs per inch for the front springs?
    For the Nova, the poundage is 100+ Lbs ... Why the big difference, what am I missing?

I would be interested in what's on your SubaruGears shopping list ;-)
    What Final drive are you going for? Which Scooby engine?
    Are you doing the gearbox conversion yourself?

I know a handful guys have gone for the Red 9 *rear* coil-over conversion.
    I didn't on my build, because I couldn't see a killer reason to do so...
    The VW standard IRS torsion bar with a height adjuster + adjustable shocker seemed to fit the bill, or is there something I haven't considered?
    I think the 250lb springs is what Simon said was supplied to the Buggies, although the jury is out at the moment as to whether or not they are right for my car. The Avante I think is a lot heaver than a buggy with the steel bulk head.

I picked up the Subaru package tonight and its not a very big box for quite a bit of money
    I went with the reverse pinion package with standard kombi 100mm flanges and the 3.9 final drive and their cast aluminium nose cone. Yes I will be doing the work myself. Going with the 2lt engine.

When I did the Scuby engine in the Nova the biggest grips for me where the brakes, gearbox and he suspension. Which is part of the reason I didn't do the same building the Avante. The reason for going with the Red 9 suspension is that I think it is far easier to tweek and get exactly as I want it.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think the 250lb springs is what Simon said was supplied to the Buggies, although the jury is out at the moment as to whether or not they are right for my car. The Avante I think is a lot heaver than a buggy with the steel bulk head.

I picked up the Subaru package tonight and its not a very big box for quite a bit of money
    I went with the reverse pinion package with standard kombi 100mm flanges and the 3.9 final drive and their cast aluminium nose cone. Yes I will be doing the work myself. Going with the 2lt engine.

When I did the Scuby engine in the Nova the biggest grips for me where the brakes, gearbox and he suspension. Which is part of the reason I didn't do the same building the Avante. The reason for going with the Red 9 suspension is that I think it is far easier to tweek and get exactly as I want it.

Dirk
    Useful, Thanks.
    I went for the 4.4 Final Drive, because of the tyre size I plan on using and the lower-powered Type 4 lump. I also have the 100mm Kombi inner flanges, the weak point on the set-up appears to be the 90mm outer flanges (well, the C.V joints bolted to them) I am using EMPI CV joints, inner and outer, will they be strong enough to cope with a Nova vs Avante face-off at Santa Pod?
    Sooner or later we are going to find out...
    Last edited by steve; 31-07-2018 at 11:07 PM.

My IRS pivot bracket jig turned up yesterday, so I spent the day today fitting them, I hadn't appreciated just how long it would take. It took me the whole day just to cut the two holes, slowly cutting metal and refitting and repeat and repeat the jigs must have been on at least 50 times. Any way all done now just need to weld them up.

Dirk

You've really got me thinking now Dirk .... I'm still restoring my chassis (ok, I've not been able to do anything for 3 months!) so this would be the ideal time to go for IRS.

I just love the positives that are emerging from that wee lassie giving you a big negative!

Alistair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    [...] I hadn't appreciated just how long it would take. It took me the whole day just to cut the two holes, slowly cutting metal and refitting and repeat and repeat the jigs must have been on at least 50 times. [...]
    Dirk
    Hmmm ... mine were trial-fitted about 1 times before being welding up :-(
    ... which is why Flatlands told me they'd have to be re-done within two seconds of seeing the chassis.

I think the underside of the trailing arm brackets you're welding in don't have an attach point for the Subarugears gearbox mount (2 bolt holes close together in the pic), another welding job for you mate, to insert a plate.
    When this was done on my build, Flatlands welded in some (captive) nuts to the underside of the plate to make maintenance easier.

Underside_mounts.jpg

I don't know why I bothering to tell you that, you've probably fixed the issue in the time it has taken me to type this.

keep the updates coming - great work

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hmmm ... mine were trial-fitted about 1 times before being welding up :-(
    ... which is why Flatlands told me they'd have to be re-done within two seconds of seeing the chassis.

I think the underside of the trailing arm brackets you're welding in don't have an attach point for the Subarugears gearbox mount (2 bolt holes close together in the pic), another welding job for you mate, to insert a plate.
    When this was done on my build, Flatlands welded in some (captive) nuts to the underside of the plate to make maintenance easier.

Underside_mounts.jpg

I don't know why I bothering to tell you that, you've probably fixed the issue in the time it has taken me to type this.

keep the updates coming - great work
    I don't think they could be fitted without a jig they are on such funny angles both upward and outward. I was trying my hardest to get the hole as tight as I could so was only taking off small amounts of metal each time.
    Thanks for the photo of the Scuby mounts I was confessed as to how they mounted them, but Dave came to the rescue with a few photos and it all became clear, keep pointing out bits I may have missed though as I'm sure there will be plenty.
    I didn't mange to do anything to the car today I got dragged of to do airsoft with the wife and nephew, I cant believe how serious some of them take it!! I've been nursing bruises tonight.

Dirk