Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Is it me or do one of you have the IRS mounts upside down?

Dirk, how much do you trust your axle stands? I had a pair like that & after the third time of them spontaniously lowering them selves with me under the car I threw them. From now on I will only use pined axle stands.

Other than that, as usual you don't hang about do you.

I have been seriously thinking about converting my subaru box for use in the Eureka but having read that it will lift the engine higher by up to 55mm, depending on which flanges you can afford, it will mean a lot of redoing both air intake & exhause, plus an increas in the roll height of teh car. So I think I will stick to plan A of an UltraFlyer box brom Limebug.

Keep up the excellent work.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post

Dirk, how much do you trust your axle stands? I had a pair like that & after the third time of them spontaniously lowering them selves with me under the car I threw them. From now on I will only use pined axle stands.

Bushboy

Ive got some similar to that, but mine came with pins as well. Having said that I tend to put wheel under the car also when its on axle stands, just in case

David,
    Our dad's must have gone to the same school as my dad drilled that technique into my head countless times and that is where I put the wheels when I have them off the car for access to brakes etc.

Cheers

Bushboy

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Ive got some similar to that, but mine came with pins as well. Having said that I tend to put wheel under the car also when its on axle stands, just in case
    Always.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    [...]
    Hello Mate, No they are correctly installed, the open side/end faces downwards.

Other than that, as usual you don't hang about do you.

I have been seriously thinking about converting my subaru box for use in the Eureka but having read that it will lift the engine higher by up to 55mm, depending on which flanges you can afford, it will mean a lot of redoing both air intake & exhause, plus an increas in the roll height of teh car. So I think I will stick to plan A of an UltraFlyer box brom Limebug.

Keep up the excellent work.

Bushboy
    Lol if they where I would be in trouble as they are all welded in now.

I've had the axle stands about 15 years now and never had a problem with them.

Having had the Subaru engine in the Nove on a Kennedy adopter it was very low so I think the extra height will be a bonus. I think you have changed a sump once? Doing some other work might save having to do that it the future and you get 5 speed.

Dirk

So with the brackets welded, I did a trial fit of the arms and all looked good. So before I strat putting all the new stuff on I thought I best have a bash at some of the messy boring stuff the body work that I cant take of.
    I put the angle grinder through the splits in the fibreglass as all the broken strands where stopping the bits being pushed back into shape

I then used to power file to take of half of the thickness of the surrounding body, which wasn't much given how thin the fibreglass in on the Avante.

This would give me good fibreglass to key into. I put on 3 layers of mat to bring the height back up to the surrounding body work and then a further layer overlapping on the body which will be sanded back

The whole of the under side will also be give a couple of layers of matt.

One of the parts that I thought I would struggle to get was the rear lights, when I built the car the lights I bought where advertised as being MK1 Cortina. They where actually of a Chevette I think the seller my have got confused with the Ford P100 which are very similar. Anyway I managed to find a pair for £40 and they arrived today.

Dirk

Dirk,
    There are no flies on you mate.

I am torn between the ultra flyer and the subaru box. % speeds would suit the engine much better, but is a more expensive route to take and will also add some weight.

I could always scallop out the horns to lower the gearbox flanges.

At this rate of progress we will be seeing you at Stones 2019 in a Nova, you will be bored with driving the Avante by then!!!

Keep the progress up it will inspire the other spanner turners.

Bushboy

Dirk,
    There are no flies on you mate.

I am torn between the ultra flyer and the subaru box. % speeds would suit the engine much better, but is a more expensive route to take and will also add some weight.

I could always scallop out the horns to lower the gearbox flanges.

At this rate of progress we will be seeing you at Stones 2019 in a Nova, you will be bored with driving the Avante by then!!!

Keep the progress up it will inspire the other spanner turners.

Bushboy
    It is a lot of money, and I would not have done it without the insurance pay out, but at the same time having had a big engine strapped to a beetle gearbox is not something I would do again, and I am looking forward to having the 5 speed box.

I think the wife would kill me if I said I wanted a Nova done for next Stones and then she would come after you for suggesting it

Dirk