Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

I have been away for a few days for work ( I do do some) !!

So this evening was all about getting the caliper brackets bent and aligned correctly. I found a chunky bit of steel plate drilled a couple of 10mm holes and welded a 20mm steel rod to it.

Once attached I slid a 6 foot scaffold pole over the bar, I was a bit concerned that the car might have moved on the axle stands, but almost disappointingly it took very little effort to bend the brackets I probably could have done it with just the 20mm bar. So the calipers disks and pads are on, and the handbrake is done. I managed to get the brake lines sorted on one side, so just the other side to do and I can get it back on its wheels.

Dirk

Nice bit of ingenuity on gaining leverage for the bending. Having come this far with Scooby Engine, Scooby Gearbox, Red 9 rear end, IRS etc..... maybe go for the full house and go for the red 9 wishbone front end... I mean you will be bored with nothing to do by next weekend

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    But what would he do on Sunday? 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Nice bit of ingenuity on gaining leverage for the bending. Having come this far with Scooby Engine, Scooby Gearbox, Red 9 rear end, IRS etc..... maybe go for the full house and go for the red 9 wishbone front end... I mean you will be bored with nothing to do by next weekend

I did consider it at the start, but doing the sums the budget just would not stretch that far, and I had only bought the Red 9 front EZ-rider and coil overs days before the crash. As it is I am still way over budget and having to do some creative accounting before the wife finds out

Dirk

The car is back on all 4 tyres

The springs at the rear are too soft and the car is sitting on the bump stops, so both front and rear need stiffening up, but ill wait until the rad is in and filled with water before I start trying different spring ratings. At the moment I have got about 4 inch below the sump but I am guessing once the suspension is sorted it will be more like 5 inch so plenty of room.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I did consider it at the start, but doing the sums the budget just would not stretch that far, and I had only bought the Red 9 front EZ-rider and coil overs days before the crash. As it is I am still way over budget and having to do some creative accounting before the wife finds out

Dirk
    With David and Mark making jokes about what you'll do with your spare time it did get me thinking ....

As I've said before, I assumed that with all this progress you must be retired (but you're not) or that you're 'between jobs' (which you're not) and then I started to think you must be single because if there was a 'Mrs Dirk' she wouldn't put up with all that garage time ... 'Mrs Bluenova' started making complaints about all my 'chassis time' but appears to have given up!

.... I suppose if you're already expecting to be over budget then any thought of asking Red9 to take the front EZ-rider and coil overs back and give you a credit note for a Red 9 wishbone front end (but check it's not for lowered set up 1st!!) isn't worth pursuing?

I'm almost tempted to make you a (cheeky) offer for the front EZ-rider and coil overs but then the springs would need to be replaced for weaker ones, and I think on reflection I'm going to focus on getting my Nova road legal and only once I'm there, improve the front & rear suspension (assuming I've got any money left in my budget!!

Keep at it Dirk!!

Alistair

The car is back on all 4 tyres

The springs at the rear are too soft and the car is sitting on the bump stops, so both front and rear need stiffening up, but ill wait until the rad is in and filled with water before I start trying different spring ratings. At the moment I have got about 4 inch below the sump but I am guessing once the suspension is sorted it will be more like 5 inch so plenty of room.

Dirk
    That would make a great calendar shot Dirk!! The amount of work you've done in such a short time to get to this is fantastic.

Well done!

Alistair

Love the work you've done so far Dirk, I have one small question; did the knock cause one of your rear body supports to get bent slightly? I'm asking because the left corner looks a little lower than the right and I was wondering if a damaged strut needed straightening/replacing?

Fantastic work Dirk, I only wish I had the time and money to keep the work going on mine and that is also very close to completion, only contribution last month was a new battery, (if I don't change my design yet again) but as I have said in the past, I have never been so busy since retiring, (or so short of cash). Keep it up, it is amazing just how many projects have just disappeared at this stage.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I managed to build a bracket and mount the header tank today, all be it not where I had hoped to put it towards the rear of the engine it now sits at the front. I forgot to take a photo before I took it back off to paint Ill get one once it goes back on.

Next task was to start looking at the exhaust, when I did the Scuby in the Nova I used the Subaru turbo manifold and an MGF back box with the pipes cut and turned 90 deg. I was hoping to do the same with the Avante.
    This is the Nova when I stated doing the exhaust I can not find a finished photo.

This pic shows the differance between the standard manifold and the turbo the turbo being the top one

It has a much smaller profile and the outlet is on the opposite side.

What I had not accounted for was that the Nova used the Kennedy adaptor plate but the Avante now has the engine bracket in the way so the turbo manifold will not fit. The other thing I had not given much thought to is the Avante is about 10cm shorter at the rear so the MGF box will not fit.

Knowing I can not use the MGF box I thought I would cut it open to see what was inside

and without the wool

There is not a great deal in there so I'm going to have a go at taking out the internal pipe work and squeezing it all into a smaller box.

Dirk