Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

My engine mounting bracket is still at the powder-coaters, but I have been given an un-coated one to keep me going and Ill swap it once it comes in. I picked it up on Friday but had some commitments over the weekend and only had a few hours on Sunday evening to have a play, so here it is

having got it I could do a first trial fit

The engine mount is a few mm from being seated but the stub axle flanges had hit the horns

and the nose cone mounting lugs where catching on the inner pinch weld areas.

I did a bit of work but didn't have the time to reinstall the engine.

Dirk

I got the engine back in tonight and it now all fits.

I have only got about a cm above the air idle valve obviously the air box filter is not going to fit and I will have to find something else but I knew that would be the case.

When I did the conversion on the Nova I cut away most of the rear deck to gain access to the engine, I was wanting to avoid doing this on the Avante so thought about what I actually needed to get to and I decided all I really needed was access to the alternator dip stick and oil filler. The alternator sits in the middle of the engine so that is fine, the dip stick was slightly under the rear deck but I managed to bend the tube as you can see in the last photo. That just leaves the oil filler

I took the plunge and cut the filler tube

and made a bracket from some aluminium that I had

This brings the filler to where the air con pump was

Ill make a sandwich plate where the pipe enters the engine and rotate it 90 deg then I just need a bit of tube to connect it all up.

One other issue to deal with, I can not remove the rear spark plugs on each side because of the Avante sub-frame

It was just as well the leads where out when I put the engine in or I would have missed it. This section of metal just supports the rear quarter and stops any flex in that area so moving it up shouldn't be an issue.

Dirk
    Last edited by Dirk; 10-09-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Impressive work Dirk as always and some creative thinking to get around those little niggling issues. The engine looks totally at home in the Avante.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Dirk,
    Looking awesome. Really nice work along with all of the fine details which you are doing.

Dirk,

Your progress is inspiring, and the engine looks like it was simply meant to be! Looking forward to seeing your Avante one day!

Alistair

Dirk,

Whats taking you so long?????

Great work mate, loving the progress & enjoying the blow by blow pictures.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update, top notch engineering
    ... but if I were you I'd junk it and go for a Type 4

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice update, top notch engineering
    ... but if I were you I'd junk it and go for a Type 4

Mmmmm lets think about it Lots more money for lots less power, No thought about it Ill stick with what I have got

Dirk

This evening I managed to make the brackets that attache the IRS brackets to the subarugears nosecone bracket, they took a bit of time to get right because of the angles. I can see now why Flatlands make there own IRS brackets to suit this conversion.

I also started the sandwich for the oil filler

and fitted

I just need to trim it to shape and get a bit of tube.

Dirk

Oil filler sandwich is now finished, Ill give it a coat of VHT paint when I get some more.

I have been trying to sort out all of the bits I need for the engine before pulling it again so that the next time I fit it will hopefully be the last time. I was a bit concerned about my ECU location I wanted it inside the car but unlike the Nova it does not have the rear window tunnel where I put my last one. The Avante does have some pockets either side of where the rear seats would be in the Beetle in front of the rear wheel arches, I wasn't sure if the harness would reach that far so I did a bit off work on the loom did a trial fit and had about 2 inch spare, that's without the petrol tank installed but I think I made allowances for that. One of the issues I had with the last one was the oil pressure sender it sits under the alternator, the last sender just had a spade connector on the top so I was able to bend it 90 deg and it all fitted, the latest sender has terminal posts on it!

So I could not do that. I did manage to find this 45 deg adaptor and it fits a treat now.

Having a bit more of a play today the spark plug tubes that I assumed where plastic are actually rubber so I can bend them to get them into the engine so no longer have to cut the body support bars

I am going to try and sort the gear linkage over the week end and then I can get the engine back out.

Dirk