Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    To save trawling as not sure whether you have mentioned it, where are you fitting the rad ?
    Front, back, arches ?

I haven't mentioned it, not really thought much about it yet but it will be going in the front some how, I don't have the limitations that the Nova has with the under tray and sealed bonnet space, but it has limited forward space as the nose is shorter and there is the headlight flaps motor and associated rods there. Once the engine is back in and the car is off the axle stands Ill have a better look and get an idea of space available.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hahaha ... but you've just scored an own goal because Dirk doesn't have one!

I don't need one 2 opening doors and side windows that open all be it only 3 inch so I don't think I could get out of them

Dirk

I started putting bit back in the car this weekend, Yesterday I got the petrol tank in along with filter pump and fuel lines, I have also got the gearbox back in. I spent today on the engine doing all the service bits tappets plugs oil filter. I also did the timing belts and all the pulleys and whilst the belt was off it made sense to do the water pump and thermostat. I plugged the purge valve output to the inlet manifold so that now has an open in and out so the ECU can tell it what to do but in reality nothing will happen. The EGR valve sits at the rear right of my engine which is where I want to fit my header tank, so I have plugged the output from the cylinder head, and made a blanking plate where the valve sits, Ill leave it connected to the ECU for the moment but move it out of the way, the ECU needs positive feedback from it to avoid fault codes. Eventually once funds permit Ill get the ECU remapped and get the EGR and any other faults deleted.
    So here is the engine finished once it comes of the stand I can do the clutch and its ready to go in.

Not knowing what I am doing with the induction yet I have fitted these filter to the rocker cover breathers

Still thinking of the induction question for everyone the crankcase breather splits one side feeds into the inlet manifold and the other feeds into the air filter box why? You would have thought just feeding into the manifold would be enough? is it possibly an emissions thing ?

Dirk

Still thinking of the induction question for everyone the crankcase breather splits one side feeds into the inlet manifold and the other feeds into the air filter box why? You would have thought just feeding into the manifold would be enough? is it possibly an emissions thing ?

I think you may find that the pipe terminating in the air filter is to ensure filtered air enters the crank case rather than "dirty" air.

Looks like you will be mobile just in time for the cold weather, easier to plumb hot water than hot air!!

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post

I think you may find that the pipe terminating in the air filter is to ensure filtered air enters the crank case rather than "dirty" air.

Bushboy
    That still doesn't make sense to me if it wants to suck and blow why not just do that from the inlet manifold, there is only a few inches between and the only difference is the throttle body. Oh writing it down has just made me think if the butterfly is closed the engine can not suck from the manifold? I think Ill find a way to keep both.

Dirk

Frustrating evening tonight, I went to fit the clutch and its the wrong one!! Frustratingly I orded it from GSF on line where they do not credit you with enough inelegance to order the part you want you have to give them a reg number and they tell you the part you want to fit your car (apparently) Grrrrrr

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Frustrating evening tonight, I went to fit the clutch and its the wrong one!! Frustratingly I orded it from GSF on line where they do not credit you with enough inelegance to order the part you want you have to give them a reg number and they tell you the part you want to fit your car (apparently) Grrrrrr

Dirk
    but you would have quoted the Scooby reg right? So its their mistake then

I had this with a Corsa - clutch and dual mass flywheel: despite the reg number they (Euro Car Parts sold me completely the wrong flywheel - then the right one and a combination that fitted it. Except when driving it slipped appallingly. So took it off and back and they sold me a second option - which when I'd fitted it did the same . Then when I took it back they relised that they'd sold me the right one the first time, only the item in the box was the wrong one - AAAAAgh! I had all the parts lined up on their desk including both dual mass flywheels and the only difference we could find was about 1.25mm difference in step-height on the machined contact surface of the flywheel which you'd only have a small chance of spotting even if you knew to look for it.... Anyways - it's probably their fault but getting it wrong always costs the customer more than them - though I can do a Corsa clutch change in a short afternoon now!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

As a past Honda parts manager I am always amazes at the lack of professionalism in the parts departments. I NEVER asked for the frame number, year and model was enough, I KNEW what bike it was as that was my job, I also knew, and still do, know the part numbers of all the fast moving stuff.

I bought an oil pressure switch on line, listed as a "black top switch for a BMW E30", it arrived BROWN, so I queried it and they asked for my UK reg number, (in Spain?) So I said it was a German car reg in Spain and supplied the 'birth certificate' issued by the BMW club of Russia and they came back asking for the information that was on it again and still got it wrong, again. so I got a refund. brown top switch anyone?

So as not to hi-jack the thread completely, Nice engine. I wish everyone took that much care building a presentable motor, so often just the crappy lump that came with it or straight out of the donor, oil an' all. Well done.
    Last edited by Peter; 25-09-2018 at 10:44 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello mate, Just a thought, you purchased the car from a Police Auction, perhaps they are fake number plates from a similar but different Scooby?