Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Its looking really good , and great to hear it performed well for 300 miles!

Having personally blown up two aircoolded engines by pushing them too hard, I highly recommend you don't rev it too hard for too long. Both mine were when overtaking on long motorway stretches

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking at the weather for the weekend I think it is reasonable to say its going to rain. Having not been out in the rain yet. I took her out today in a heavy down pour better to see what it is like close to home than half way along the M5 I found out the demisters are as much use as a chocolate tea pot only clearing two small circles at the bottom of the screen, I think I need a stronger blower. There was a lot of water coming in in between the body and the bonded sub-frame I did suspect that would happen but needed to see it. The door window seals also let water in, but again I knew that would happen so need to put some holes in the bottom of the doors.The wipers worked reasonably well although I don't think I got over 50 mph.
    I have smothered the inside of the windscreen, door glass and rear window with anti-mist stuff and bought a chamois sponge thing so hopefully I am covered.

Looking forward to the weekend despite the weather and 5 hour drive.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I had a disappointing evening in the garage tonight. I started to strip the engine that came with the Nova a late 1600 twin port, the idea was to rebuild it and put that in the Avante as I have not done anything on the engine that is in there, It turns out that the 10 years it was stood outside without an engine cover has taken its toll. the area around the sump plate has totally corroded the metal just crumbled as I poked it with a screwdriver, after 5 minuets of poking there were only 2 stud holes left, I had contemplated using some JB weld to build it back up but the I also found a crack in the case so it has had it. Even more disappointing is the gearbox, I had assumed since it was a 1600 engine the gearbox would match and I could replace the 1200 gearbox on the Avante with it, but it turns out to be an AB code box 1300. I do have a 1600 box with a damaged case so I may see if I can find someone to swap the gears from one to the other.

Dirk

That's a real bummer, as is usual with the Nova one step forward and two steps backwards! Hopefully you can find a suitable engine / gearbox replacement. Given the price of tatty projects you could even buy a project VW kit car as a parts car (not necessarily a Nova)