Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I'm not sure how many where made a lot less than the Nova, but between old Club Nova / Avante news letters that I have, the Avante website database that Dave set up and me keeping records of the registration numbers of the ones that come up for sale. I know of 19 cars and other than mine there is only one other that I know about on the road in this country.

Is there anyone else using the site that has one??? That perhaps I do not know about? It would be good to find a few more.

Dirk
    Dirk,

The last time I saw an Avante on the road up here in Bonnie Scotland was a red one way back around 1990 when my Nova was on the road. I saw it regularly around Glenrothes in Fife where I worked ... but haven't seen any on the road since then.

Hopefully there are still a few sleeping in barns waiting for their Prince Charming to come along and waken them up?

Alistair

Fantastic work on the door!
    Has inspired me to go down to the garage today and, after a bit of a hiatus, pick up were I left off with the Nova chassis refurb (as well as engine, brakes, suspension...

Actually, bout of flu and being snowed in for a bit hasnít helped
    but daffodils are flowering, spring canít be far away, and Iín keener than ever to get my Nova back on the road (well, eventually!)

Cheers and keep the inspiration coming!

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
    Fantastic work on the door!
    Has inspired me to go down to the garage today and, after a bit of a hiatus, pick up were I left off with the Nova chassis refurb (as well as engine, brakes, suspension...

Actually, bout of flu and being snowed in for a bit hasnít helped
    but daffodils are flowering, spring canít be far away, and Iín keener than ever to get my Nova back on the road (well, eventually!)

Cheers and keep the inspiration coming!

Colin
    That was last week, keep up!

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi Dirk.

Nice work on the door. A job well done

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    ďA plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrongĒ

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed my newly reconditioned gear box in the background of some of my earlier photos. I have been driving around with a 1200 gearbox and a 1600 engine since I built the car, I did have what I thought was a 1600 gearbox unfortunately the serial number had been ground off and a random number stamped in, so unsure of its true identity or condition I decided to build the car with the 1200 and have the "1600" looked at. I took it to Bears Motor sport, they said overall it was in good condition but it was a 1500 gearbox so as well as some of the worn parts they also change the 4th from 0.89 to 0.82. With the 1200 gear box @ 70 Mph I was doing 4000 RPM I am hoping with the new gearbox it should be more like 3200 RPM @70 time will tell.
    Anyway being the job that it is and the work involved I had a whole day today to myself the wife was out all so no distractions!! all was going well until the point I was under the car undoing the nosecone mounting bolts as I undid the second one I looked towards the new gear box and could see 3 mounting holes! there were defiantly only 2 on the one I was taking out. So who knew there were several different nose cones mountings on the VW gearbox. I didn't (obviously)

Not to worry I thought in my naivety one on the Novas has a very late chassis I can use the mount of that (no they are no interchangeable and mounted totally differently. So in the end I had to swap over my 2 nosecones, which was a bit disappointing having spent so much having the other one reconditioned, still the gearbox is now back in hubs, brakes and clutch all sorted. Whilst I have the engine out I'm going to do the push rod tubes and I have got a couple more exhaust boxes coming which are quite a bit bigger so I am hoping I can get them to fit.

Dirk

Nice update, and Sodís law reigns as usual in anything Nova related

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update, the long-legged 4th gear is a great idea.

I know the gearbox on mine came from a 1303 and I converted the IRS axles to swing arm as (at the time) I didn't want to go to all the hassle of converting the chassis which in hindsight was stupid as I could have pulled ALL the 1303 bits at the time for next to nothing, I think I paid 35 quid for the box. I have run it with the old 1584cc engine but have yet to see what happens with the higher revving 1641cc and double the power.
    Last edited by Peter; 30-03-2018 at 12:20 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I managed to get the engine back in today after making the changes to the exhaust, and after a short spin it does appear to be quieter but as I have not got the back panel or lights back in yet so I could not take it for a proper run up the motorway. One thing I have been plagued with is a noisy tappet, so while the engine was out a spent some time setting them so they where spot on, so I was very disappointed when I got the car started again and it was still there. So tonight I pulled the adjusters out and I found the problem.

I changed the adjuster and it all sounds nice again. One issue that I do have is that it looks like the oil cooler is leaking I had thought it was the push rod tubes on the side I hadn't replaced. Ill have to keep an eye on it as I don't want to take the engine back out before Stones.

Dirk

Don't take it out before Stones, take it out AT Stones..... we can treat it as a team project