Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I'm disappointed that you didn't just remake the adjuster on a lathe from a ingot of Steel, you are cutting too many corners mate...

Steve
    (nice update ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I managed to get the engine back in today after making the changes to the exhaust, and after a short spin it does appear to be quieter but as I have not got the back panel or lights back in yet so I could not take it for a proper run up the motorway. One thing I have been plagued with is a noisy tappet, so while the engine was out a spent some time setting them so they where spot on, so I was very disappointed when I got the car started again and it was still there. So tonight I pulled the adjusters out and I found the problem.

I changed the adjuster and it all sounds nice again. One issue that I do have is that it looks like the oil cooler is leaking I had thought it was the push rod tubes on the side I hadn't replaced. Ill have to keep an eye on it as I don't want to take the engine back out before Stones.

Dirk
    Last edited by steve; 16-04-2018 at 01:01 PM.

So I got the rear panel back on tonight and lights hooked up so I decided to take it for a spin and take it on the motorway to see what my revs are with the new gearbox and see how loud the new exhaust boxes are. I wasn't expecting to take this photo!!!

On the way down to castle combe last year the car started to hesitate a bit under power so slowing down and dropping a gear pulling off again it struggled and I have to ease of the throttle to build the speed back up, this has got gradually worse and I had in my mind put it down to cheap HT leads possibly shorting, so whilst I was doing the work on the engine I changed the leads for better ones but when I took it out for a spin yesterday it was worse still! The car runs fine when cruising along. Anyway back to tonight it was doing the same but I got about a mile and a half down the farm track and it just stalled and would not restart so I had to call in the support car to tow me back . once back int the garage I check the usual things. I have a good spark and fuel is getting to the carb a good dousing with carb cleaner sort of gets it running so I am inclined to think it is blocked jets that have slowly been getting worse?
    Ill have a look tomorrow does anyone know if you can get all the jets out of a H30/31PICT whilst it is in the car?

Dirk

If you Google
    H30/31PICT changing jets

There are several write ups and videos on that carb.

Spend a few quid and buy some swivel foot tappet screws, well worth the money, closer tolerances and therefore quieter.

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac109450-...l-8mm-vw-spare

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

There are some amazingly low prices being asked for brand new reproduction beetle Carbs on Ebay just now (£55-£65 if I remember correctly). Don't know if they are any good but may be worth trying one out?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-VW-Vo...IAAOSwblFak9xy
    Last edited by Phill; 17-04-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

Oh no Dirk, you can't show photos like that, especially coming up to Stones! Mark a.k.a. Buffy is never going to take his car off a trailer now !!!!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I could say something .........😜

This may sound silly, but I'd check your fuel tank and lines too, you could have debris/corrosion in the tank which is causing a blockage, the same goes with the pipes and fuel filter.

Main reason for my suggesting this is because I've had two tanks cause me grief!, the first had debris in the tank which floated around and kept getting sucked into the fuel outlet; inevitable cutout!
    The second one was due to the tank degrading and the ensuing headaches from purging/replacing fuel lines and filters due to their being severely clogged with crud was NOT what I wanted during that particular weekend!
    Last edited by Gaisa; 17-04-2018 at 10:43 PM.

So this evening I took out the jets blew them through with compressed air and blew out the orifices, put them back in and the car started perfect. I did a couple of runs up and down the farm track and the car ran perfect even the hesitation changing down a gear had gone. So I decided to take it for a good run I had done about 20 miles and was about a mile away from being back on the farm track and she died again if I waited about 10 minuets I could get her started and if I kept the revs up at about 3500 she would go for about quarter of a mile and die again. needless to say it took me a while to get back home.
    That will teach me to do half a job, I think like Gaisa suggests there are possibly problems further back, Ill take the carb out tomorrow and do a full strip down and clean, and replace the fuel lines and filter and see if that sorts the problem out. As for getting the tank out that is a major job unlike the Nova where you can cut the back panel out to get to it you can not do that on the Avante, it is engine and gearbox out.

Dave I don't think it will ever come off the trailer until he gets a sunroof

Dirk

Try running a fuel feeder from a petrol can and driving around with that first, if this eliminates the problem, then you know for certain.
    If it doesn't, it eliminates the need to mess around with replacing the fuel pipes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Try running a fuel feeder from a petrol can and driving around with that first, if this eliminates the problem, then you know for certain.
    If it doesn't, it eliminates the need to mess around with replacing the fuel pipes etc.
    Now that's why I love this Forum ... in addition to the moral support we get/give superb advice like this!