Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

I think the wife would kill me if I said I wanted a Nova done for next Stones and then she would come after you for suggesting it

Dirk
    Haha Dirk! ... after 3 months of not being able to work on my Nova (family/work/holidays/etc) your rapid pace of work gave me the motivation I needed to get back out there and do something today. So I drilled the frame head bottom plate and plug welded it in place. I'm back at work tomorrow so hopefully this weekend I'll seam weld it too, and then do the same for the Nap's Hat.

Thanks for the motivational push ... I feel so much better!! However, my wife commented that "that'll be you back in your man cave for a while? But I need this done, and that done, etc, etc" so I told her it was all your fault for showing us how rolling up your sleeves makes you feel great. ..... so I'm sorry Dirk, but she's coming after you!!

Really enjoying your progress at the moment. Great example of better things emerging from a crisis!

Cheers, Alistair

I managed to finish the fiberglass tonight and give it a quick sand down.

It is still going to need lots of work and filler, but at least the structural strength of the body has been restored. That is as much as I am going to do on the body at the moment as I am guessing that I will need to do work to the rear deck and possibly the rear end to fit the new engine. So I may as well wait until I know what I have got to do.

I did manage to bag a bargain today I bought a Legercy 2003 53 plate with 105k miles for £370. It came from a police auction website as stolen recovered

https://www.police-auction.org.uk/

I managed to go and have a look at the car in the compound, but I could not get it started it may have had something to do with them disconnecting the battery, I did slip the negative lead back on but could not tighten it, so maybe that is the issue it was sold as running and derivable, Ill find out when it gets delivered. It has also had the radio ripped out and some of the centre console damaged getting it out, the exhaust back box is also missing, all bits I am not bothered with so a result.

Just waiting on the shortened axles coming from the states and the Red9 rear suspension.

Dirk

Dirk,
    I can't remember suggesting any thing of the sort!!!!

I had a short crawl under the Eureka last night & I think I could get away with scalloping out the horns as just past that area I have triangulated the engine support rails back up to the rollover bar.

After Carfest it is comming of the road for an overhaul so that will be decision time.

Good call with the body work and waiting to see if it all fits.

Keep at it.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Dirk
    I would just like to mention, your positivity after what happened should be an inspiration for all to stay focused and keep going.......
    And I hope your sunroof is ok 😂😜

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Dirk,

I had a short crawl under the Eureka last night & I think I could get away with scalloping out the horns as just past that area I have triangulated the engine support rails back up to the rollover bar.

me.

Cheers

Bushboy
    On a standard IRS conversion the horns do need some work, bashing with a big hammer or cutting out a section and re-wedding, I've not done that yet as I'm not sure how much if anything will need to be changed using the Subaru box.

Dirk

Dirk,
    Yes my horns were bashed when the IRS conversion was done many years ago. Not that anyone really sees it scalloping it out looks nicer.

Still undecided about the Subaru conversion. Subarugears in Australia will make me an adapter plate & flywheel for the Mazda engine for $1000 Aussie dollars. No CAD or design fees will be applied as they will add the designs to their collection of adapters they do.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Dirk,
    Yes my horns were bashed when the IRS conversion was done many years ago. Not that anyone really sees it scalloping it out looks nicer.

Still undecided about the Subaru conversion. Subarugears in Australia will make me an adapter plate & flywheel for the Mazda engine for $1000 Aussie dollars. No CAD or design fees will be applied as they will add the designs to their collection of adapters they do.

Bushboy
    I know you have got it all done and running, but what are the advantages to keeping the Mazda engine? Why not do the whole swap and keep it all matched? No adapter plate needed.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Dirk,

Bushboy
    If you are concerned about centre of gravity/ bodyroll with a Subaru 'box (in view of the fact that the drivetrain is raised a couple of inches with a Subaru gearbox conversion) a low-slung flat-four Scooby engine will offset the higher CoG of an upright lump to some extent.
    The subarugears extended flanges and would also help with CoG.

flanges.jpg

One other factor in a Scooby gbox conversion is the what the box can handle power-wise, a VW gearbox box is rated at 50bhp (ok, we all know it can handle a lot more than that) but my scooby 'box is rated at 218bhp - straight out of the box. And, depending on who you talk to, can handle ~350bhp.

My engine and gearbox turned up today

I took it for a spin down the track and back and everything worked as expected.

I striped out the dash, air bags, and by-passed the alarm and removed it.

And it all still works without any faults (other than the air bag). Lots more fun bits to do.

Dirk

That all looks so familiar and I enjoyed my strip down until I got to that problematic bolt at the bottom of the engine to gearbox mount, its a real pig. Hopefully yours comes free more easily than mine did,it really is quite inaccessible to get onto it properly.

This was my “user manual” for the engine removal https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q1csWyTiOds

it sure beats a Haynes manual