Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

I got the heater and bracket installed this weekend but unfortunately I had bought the wrong size 90 deg bends so I could not finish the plumbing (correct ones now orded)

Since I have moved the battery into the car I wanted to mount it in a battery box, but looking on the Web all I could find was large bulky ones designed for leisure battery's or expensive ones for motor sport so I had to make my own. I made a box from melamine as the mold

once the mold was removed I had this

I made the lid using the same construction but cut one of my side pieces a bit short so I used the Caddies tip of a bit of Plasticine

It worked a treat. A bit of paint and job was good. I could have spent a few more hours getting a perfect finish but it will not be seen and it will do the job.

I also mounted the catch the wrong way round but it works.

Dirk

In my mind, the only "wrong way" is the way that "doesn't work"

A nice neat package Dirk.

The ones I have looked at before on the net have always looked too big & bulky.

What did you treat the melamine with to prevent the resin sticking to it or is it naturally repellent?

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post

What did you treat the melamine with to prevent the resin sticking to it or is it naturally repellent?

Bushboy
    Nothing I just put some releasing tape on the cut joints, resin does not stick to melamine so you just unscrew the mold and job done.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I got the heater and bracket installed this weekend but unfortunately I had bought the wrong size 90 deg bends so I could not finish the plumbing (correct ones now orded)
    err.....Ordered ?........3D printing ...LOL

Always nice to see custom parts being made and documented, nice update
    Last edited by islandman; 11-03-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Instead of building a custom box, why not just purchase a NEMA enclosure of the right size?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    Instead of building a custom box, why not just purchase a NEMA enclosure of the right size?

Because he can?

And they are not cheap!

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post

I hadn't looked into them so I had a quick look tonight what I would have needed was 300mm x 200mm x 200mm. they all seem to be measured in imperial so 12" x 8" x 8" the closest that I could find that meet all 3 dimensions was 18" x 16" x 8" that would not have fitted in the space I had, plus it is more expensive than the motor sport boxes. As it was because I had all of the bits the only thing I had to buy was the hinges and they cost less than £1 at screw fix the box is a perfect size and I had fun doing it.

Dirk

My correct size 90 deg hose joiners arrived today so I managed to finish the plumbing tonight, I ran out of time so haven't filled it back up yet, so other than that the only job left to do on the heating side is the plenum box to direct the air and as I type the main section is being printed

Dirk