Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone got a photo of Nova UBG785V ?

Has anyone got a photo of Nova UBG785V ?

Hi, has anyone got any photos of my Nova UBG785V

It was first on the road as a Nova in 1979 and was last on the road in 1994.

I am really looking for an "on the road" photo that shows the registration number if possible.

As mentioned in another post, I am looking for some history / evidence of the car before my ownership to support documentation update.

Thanks in advance,

John

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi John,
    When your car was built, the original owner obtained a new car registration letter, 1979=V Reg,
    So your V5c will likely have the Special Note: "REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW."
    My guess is that the Special Note has been on the V5C since the date of registration in '79.

So DVLA already know that the car was a 'Special', built from parts, in '79.

Given that, why not write to them and say the car was built as a Nova in '79 and that the original owner didn't update the V5C, send some current pictures of the car being re-built, plus the original Nova Name Plate if it's still on the car? should be enough for DVLA to make the change.

Just my 002.

Thanks Steve,

Yes, you are correct about "assembled from parts, all of which may not be new"

unluckily I collected the car in so may pieces that a current picture may have the opposite effect to what I need!

I have pictures of when the last owner to me collected the car, unluckily work had been started by the owner previous to him and the plates were not fitted, so those photos do not help either!

Hopefully someone in the club has 1 picture that I can use

Hi John,

I agree with Steve that the DVLA should already know about your Nova. If the initial build was completed and the car was actually driven on the road (which you hope to prove with a photo) then the DVLA should have a record that the car is currently untaxed and the date when the tax is due.

Last year I went online to DVLA and searched for my registration number. It was not without with some trepidation, because I assumed they might not have any record of the car, in which case I might have an uphill struggle to get her re-registered.

I was also concerned that I hadn't declared SORN, however subsequently found out from the DVLA website that SORN isn’t needed if your vehicle was last taxed before 31 January 1998 when SORN was introduced.

Thankfully their records showed that my Nova is "untaxed" and that the tax is due on 1 Nov 1991. They don't have any MOT records of my car because back in 1991 their system was not computerised. Their records also showed the following for my Nova:-

Vehicle Make
    Date of first registration
    Year of manufacture
    Cylinder capacity
    Fuel type
    Vehicle Colour
    Wheelplan

Hopefully they'll have similar records of your Nova, in which case you won't need that photo.

Cheers, Alistair

Thanks Alistair,

Yes, I have done the DVLA search and that is how I know the Nova was last taxed in 1994.

However, all the information you mention only proves that a "VW sports Kit car" was registered and used back then.

We all know that it was a Nova, but I want to be able to definitely prove to the DVLA that it was a Nova and not a Karma or any one of the other VW sports kits that may have been available in 1979.

I may just be overly cautions, but I would like to be able to back up my request to correct the log book with a single piece of irrefutable evidence.

Also it would be lovely to have a single photo of the car in period!

Regards, John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piperphasetwo View Post
    Thanks Steve,

Yes, you are correct about "assembled from parts, all of which may not be new"

unluckily I collected the car in so may pieces that a current picture may have the opposite effect to what I need!

I have pictures of when the last owner to me collected the car, unluckily work had been started by the owner previous to him and the plates were not fitted, so those photos do not help either!

Hopefully someone in the club has 1 picture that I can use

What colour is the car? (what colour was it in the 80s/90s?)
    Did it have any unusual features that might trigger some memories?
    Was it in Club Nova? Name of the previous owner?

Do you know that the car attended at Stones or elsewhere back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    What colour is the car? (what colour was it in the 80s/90s?)
    Did it have any unusual features that might trigger some memories?
    Was it in Club Nova? Name of the previous owner?

Do you know that the car attended at Stones or elsewhere back in the day?
    Hi Steve,

It is a red Mk 1 and judging by the paint under the interior panels, it was red from new. The roof has Granada vents either side of the "T" handle depression, however the vents have not been "drilled out" to make them function (Lauren mentioned in another post that there may have been only 50 cars with this feature). I bought the car from Badwolf and I believe he got the car from the forum (or its predecessor) but he did not tell me the Forum name of the owner he got the car from. The log book showed the owner previous to Badwolf registered the car in Llanelli south wales. There was no history when I bought the car so I do not know if it was ever taken to any of the shows.

I believe I recall some posts by Badwolf in the past, maybe a search of the forum would bring it to light?

(Edit)

Umm... nevermind. I looked a little deeper and realized my error. From what I found, no pics.
    Last edited by Gaisa; 27-03-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    The previous 2 owners of the car, cainthomas and Badwolf are forum members,
    Badwolf has recent activity, cainthomas has an email address on his profile.
    Drop them both a PM/email, they might have pics or more history.

Good idea Steve