Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Great piece of work, should give you better breaking plus a reduction in unsprung weight.
    The difference in caliper size is surprising, I had forgotten how small the stock VW ones were.

Dirk, looks really good, and if that work you maybe taking orders !

Both the calipers are now finished

I used a bit of epoxy on the spacers to create new lugs and save the fiddling of holding spaces when installing the calipers, a quick run down with a 10mm reamer cleared any glue. Just waiting on the pads new pins and springs and socket head bolts.

Dirk

Nice lateral thinking. You guys have the best parts cars over there for stuff like that!

Dirk, Given you have the toys like the mill at your disposal (and time whilst waiting for the pads) why not Mill off the original lugs, neating up the install further and reducing the unsprung weight even further also? I mean the blue areas in the image below

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Dirk, Given you have the toys like the mill at your disposal (and time whilst waiting for the pads) why not Mill off the original lugs, neating up the install further and reducing the unsprung weight even further also? ....
    Or better still, to help pass the time, you could get another couple of calipers and make the same amendments for me! ... how much would you charge?

Alistair

Or two pairs 🙏😊

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Dirk, Given you have the toys like the mill at your disposal (and time whilst waiting for the pads) why not Mill off the original lugs, neating up the install further and reducing the unsprung weight even further also? I mean the blue areas in the image below

I did think about it, but wondered if it might compromise strength. I also thought about using some aluminium filler rod to fill the hole and put a slightly bigger radius on the cut , but not knowing the grade of alli or how it might have been tempered and I would have to take the seals out with the heat. I kind of came to the conclusion only 2 people are ever going to see it me and the MOT man so just leave it.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Or better still, to help pass the time, you could get another couple of calipers and make the same amendments for me! ... how much would you charge?

Alistair
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Or two pairs 🙏😊
    Lets see how it turns out, I may have got it all wrong once they are fitted.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Lets see how it turns out, I may have got it all wrong once they are fitted.

Dirk
    My build's going painfully slowly Dirk, so I've plenty of time so see how you get on ... top work and top tools from you as always!

Alistair