Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

First weekend of numb fingers and cold aches, but the plumbing has been done. I have bypassed the heater for the moment just to get it all up and running. I haven't wired up the temp gauge yet so it was quite nice having the OBD to plug into. The software I mentioned the other day shows min max and now setting so it was easy to see when the thermostat opened, the temp got up to 85 deg which stayed as the max and as the thermostat opened the engine temp then dropped to 83 deg. The fans are not wired up yet so when it reached 85 again I switched off. I should get the fans sorted tomorrow and hopefully get the brakes and clutch bled ( Ill have to talk nicely to the wife)

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    ) I will not even service the wife's car. I love working on my cars and can easily spend 12 hours a day working on it, but even doing an oil change on another car is a chore.

Dirk

Dirk
    I so know what you mean. after working on my car everything else is a chore but I need the money (due to the ridiculously low state pension) so i have to do what I have to do but it is also getting harder to do it at 72, but needs be an' all that,
    you are doing a great job and at such a pace my head spins.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Today I managed to drive the car under its own steam, all be it only in and out of the garage a few times!! I am on my 3rd set of springs and the car is still sitting on the bump stops at the rear and I can not get my hand between the tyre and front wheel arch. At the moment I have got 200LB up front and 400LB at the rear. Whilst it is as low as it is I can not take it down the track as I have to cross a level crossing and it would just ground out. Another problem has also started, when the car starts it idles at about 1200 RPM after a few mins I would give the throttle a quick blip and the revs would drop to around 800 RPM all normal. Today after bliping the throttle the revs shot up to about 3500 RPM and nothing I did would get it to drop. I switched off and tried again a few times each time the same started OK but as soon as the throttle is pressed the revs go right up and wont come down. I am thinking it is a dirty IAC valve so I will take it off tomorrow and clean it and see if that helps.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Dirk
    What shocks have you got all round?
    On mine I added spacers on top of the springs to raise the car up. Could you not do the same ?

A couple of embarrassing confessions from this weekend.

My high revs problem I took the IAC valve off and gave it a good clean, replaced it and started the car same problem but even stranger after bliping the throttle the revs went up to 2500 RPM so I wound the revs up to about 4500, foot off the throttle and the revs stayed at about 3500 RPM !!! I switched off and decided to take a look at the butterfly in the throttle body. When I first put the engine back in I knew I had to make some clearance for the induction system so I put on a 90 deg silicon hose which would be the start of the system. So I pulled it off and found this.

When I original took the engine out I put a Jay cloth into the throttle body to stop any rubbish getting in there and I forgot all about it, so as I was reving the car it was sucking more of the cloth in and holding the butterfly up I guess Im lucky the whole thing didn't get sucked further in.

So number 2
    I was taking the exhaust back off to paint it and whilst on my back looked at the shocks and suddenly realised I hadn't wound the springs up (what a d##k !!!!!!) I was doing other things with the wife (DIY Stuff) whilst I was fitting the shocks so I kept sneaking into the garage doing one at a time as quickly as possible before she realised I wasn't doing what I should have been that will teach me. So the car is now sitting at the correct height, but at that point the exhaust was off so I could not take it for a drive.

Confessions over.

Dirk

On a more productive note, I did manage to sort the induction system today. The two things that needed to be connected into it were the air temp sender and the second engine breather. The temp sender has a grommet around it and is just a push fit into the Subaru filter box. So I used a 20mm punch to make a hole in the silicon hose.

With a bit of lubrication the sender went in.

For the engine breather a took an M12 bolt drilled out the centre to 8mm and turned down the head

This is it finished

and fitted

Dirk

Haha, we have all been there.......your confessions will make us all think twice next time we have a problem

For the engine breather a took an M12 bolt drilled out the centre to 8mm and turned down the head
    Nice bit of ingenuity there Dirk. I wish I had access to a lathe, all sort of neat fixes to problems you can do with one.

Confessions over.

Dirk
    Dirk,

For someone who I consider to be an expert in the Nova and Avante world, I admire your humility. You could have simply not told us, but you did.

Your carb confession reminded me of a friend of mine who is an expert in the gliding world. He trains people to become trainers themselves. He's also got a private pilots licence so that he can fly the tug which tows the gliders up for their flights. Long story short, he was flying a new tug and the engine was overheating so he went back to the airfield to check it over. He got talking to others about it and got distracted. They couldn't find anything so he set off again with a glider in tow. He only got to half the desired height and the engine started overheating again ... but worse. The glider pilot radioed him to say he could see 'smoke' coming from the tug. He let the glider off the towline and went straight back to the airfield ...... to find that he'd taken the radiator cap off at some point and lodged it in an area of the engine compartment. It was still there!! Anyway, rather than not tell anyone, he decided to make it well known in order to reinforce the need to check and re-check such details before you set off in a plane.

Glad to see your rebuild continuing at such a pace, and looking forward to seeing a video of your Avante back on the road.

Cheers, Alistair

If I was only allowed to keep one piece of garage equipment then the lathe would be at the top of the list.

Nice progress Dirk, no grassgrowingunder your feet.!

Loking forward to the first road report.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"