Page 71 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirk's Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I got the engine out on Saturday, and with it out the pressure regulator took 2 mins to take off !! So the new one on and the engine back in and coolant filled up I started her up and get her up to temp radiator fans switched on everything looked good. I switched off and back on all OK cracked it. I pulled the car out of the garage switched off to open the drive gates got back in and she would not start GGrrrrr. I waited a while and she started again all be it a bit rough I took her down the track and back just over a couple of miles and all was fine back on the drive and at idle still a bit rough and would not start again after being switched off.
    So today I put the fuel pressure gauge back on and the pressure was fine and steady. The car started fine when cold high revs as she warmed up revs dropped to normal and she was a bit rough again switched off wouldn't start, now I'm sure this problem was probably there before but was masked by the fuel pressure problem, whilst that was there I had to wait for the engine to cool down before it would restart, now if I try and start it, it fire but immediately stalls if I then give it a couple of mins it restarts, if I try and start it immediately and crank it over several times I have to wait longer before it starts. Now to me it sounds like it is running too rich its OK cold starts first time and only starts to sound a bit rough after the revs drop, when I try and start it hot its flooding and waiting a min evaporates the fuel continually cranking is filling the piston with fuel which is why I have to wait longer? But I was not getting any error codes. Just before I packed up tonight I ran the car at about 3000 RPM for a few mins and finally my engine management light came on and the error code was for the upstream O2 sensor weak mixture. a new one is on order so fingers crossed.

Dirk

You didn't mention what the code number was so that makes it very difficult to offer any help.

However assuming that the O2 sensor is working and doing its job a weak mixture to me means the engine is running lean and the problem is some where else.

Subaru manuals are very helpful at tracing down problems when a trouble code is present. Again I don't know the year and model of the engine so offering any help is useless. Sorry
    Also there are tests for the sensors to see if they are functioning properly so your not wasting your money an replacing good parts

Here are somethings that cause rough idling, all of these have tests to see if they are good or not in the subaru fsm

2. Rough idling

1) Idle air control solenoid valve
    2) Mass air flow sensor
    3) Intake manifold pressure sensor
    4) Intake air temperature sensor
    5) Engine coolant temperature sensor (*2)
    6) Ignition parts (*1)
    7) Air intake system (*5)
    8) Fuel injection parts (*4)
    9) Throttle position sensor
    10) Crankshaft position sensor (*3)
    11) Camshaft position sensor (*3)
    12) Oxygen sensor
    13) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

*1: Check ignition coil & ignitor assembly and spark plug.
    *2: Indicate the symptom occurring only in cold temperatures.
    *3: Ensure the secure installation.
    *4: Check fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.
    *5: Inspect air leak in air intake system.
    *6: Adjust accelerator cable.
    B: GENERAL DIAGNOSTICS

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Jeez, what a pain.
    Let's hope that error code you hit at end-of-play is the breakthrough...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You didn't mention what the code number was so that makes it very difficult to offer any help.

However assuming that the O2 sensor is working and doing its job a weak mixture to me means the engine is running lean and the problem is some where else.

Subaru manuals are very helpful at tracing down problems when a trouble code is present. Again I don't know the year and model of the engine so offering any help is useless. Sorry
    Also there are tests for the sensors to see if they are functioning properly so your not wasting your money an replacing good parts
    The code is P0130 its a 2003 2lt non turbo UK spec engine. I have the correct Subaru manual and looking at the diagnostic procedure for that error code with no other error codes its apparently the O2 sensor or associated cabling at fault, so I will go for that as a first stab, the new one might be here tomorrow and as that is only a 2 min job to replace Ill get it fitted and report back.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    The code is P0130 its a 2003 2lt non turbo UK spec engine. I have the correct Subaru manual and looking at the diagnostic procedure for that error code with no other error codes its apparently the O2 sensor or associated cabling at fault, so I will go for that as a first stab, the new one might be here tomorrow and as that is only a 2 min job to replace Ill get it fitted and report back.

Dirk
    After reading the last few posts of your problem it seems that the problem is when the fuel system changes between an open loop to a closed loop system.

changing the O2 sensor may fix the problem but if the problem continues check the coolant sensor next(if you haven't already)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    After reading the last few posts of your problem it seems that the problem is when the fuel system changes between an open loop to a closed loop system.

changing the O2 sensor may fix the problem but if the problem continues check the coolant sensor next(if you haven't already)

The O2 sensor didn't arrive today so I haven't done anything tonight. I have read that the coolant sensor can give starting issues, but I am sure that is OK I I've got 2 sensors one for my gauge and one for the ECU. Running Freessm shows the temp rising and falling and temps correspond with the thermostat opening and the fans cutting in and out so at the moment I am assuming the the sender is OK. That said I have not got FreeSSM running when I am cycling the start switch on and off to try and get it started so I guess there could be an intermittent fault. we will see once the O2 sensor turns up.

Dirk

It was a couple of weeks ago when i ordered the O2 sensor, but when it arrived it was the wrong one 3 wire instead of 4 wire. I contacted the supplier but he did not have the on I wanted. So I ordered another one from a different supplier, which I managed to fit today. It took a while to get the car up to temperature there was a cutting easterly wind witch blows straight into my garage (my fingers where numb before the fans kicked in ) anyway after the fans stopped I switched the engine off and it started again straight away I took it for a run down the track and back stopped on the drive switched off and switched back on worked first time, so I think I have solved this one.

Dirk

Well after replacing several things, including the engine out / in scenario I bet you are happier than a dog with 2 dicks right now!

You did well to systematically sort it out, I think I would have been totally stumped

Well done Dirk. Motivation is hard when it is that cold 🥶

Well done Dirk - it must be really satisfying to know you have solved that one entirely yourself
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Well done Dirk,

Took you less time to fix that problem than it takes to watch that banana emicon that Islandman
    inserted.

What is net on the agenda? heating for the shed

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"