Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Versimold - Moldable Rubber for Custom Gaskets etc..

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Re: Versimold - Moldable Rubber for Custom Gaskets etc..

I'll add yours in with the seal too David, might aswell add it to the same box.

Makes sense

Here is a link to the video from Stacey David's Gearz show featuring the ER tape and Versimold

http://youtu.be/NlRrVQVfFm4

Can't quite make it out from the video (at work, so no sound either), but did he roll a sausage and then join the ends before curing it, or did he punch a hole? I'm interested to know if its possible to roll it out and join like plasticine and have the strength in the joins once cured? `¬)

I think he had just rolled the piece out and then joined the ends before applying the heat gun to cure it. but it can be done the other way also by flattening out the piece and punching the hole out to size needed before the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB
    Can't quite make it out from the video (at work, so no sound either), but did he roll a sausage and then join the ends before curing it, or did he punch a hole? I'm interested to know if its possible to roll it out and join like plasticine and have the strength in the joins once cured? `¬)
    Go back to the original post, first video. The guy makes a gasket using two different diameter pieces pf pipe.

I like the way he says vehicle

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by CyCo
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB
    Go back to the original post, first video. The guy makes a gasket using two different diameter pieces pf pipe.
    I can see how a gasket can be made by stamping out a centre and trimming the outside, I'm interested to know if it has the same strength if two peices are joined together and then cured... So if a long length is rolled out and then joined, does the join section amalgamate with the same strength? I assume unused bits can be worked back together to create a single lump to work from again, but how well does a join have to be made to get a suitable strength? ...I'll be able to find out with the sample, but I was just wanting to get a feel as to what is possible... `¬)

yes, if you join the two ends together then cure with heat gun, it is one solid piece. whatever you do not cure can be put back onto the original puck for later use.