Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petrol Gauge Not Working - Wiring? Gauge? Sender?

Re: Petrol Gauge Not Working - Wiring? Gauge? Sender?

Giles

Put red lead on terminal and black lead on screw with wire connected. You should get a reading of a few Ohms which change from high to low as you move the float up an down. You need to unsrew the assembly from the tank in order to move the float unless the tank is out in which case you can turn it upside down to move the float.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Place red probe of multimeter on centre spade tang,scratching surface to make good contact, place black probe anywhere on outer metal lid of probe ,again scratching surface to make good contact, place meter on ohms range and check, flick through all five ohms ranges,you should get reading on at least one depending upon the resistance of the float coil. The contact under your earth lead does look a bit dubious from your picture,get some scratch paper and remove screw and clean it to bright metal plus your centre contact to be certain, very rare for float to stick but it can happen rather like float valve in your toilet.
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

Thanks both. That's what I did earlier but I didn't get any reading at all. I'll try again, this time trying all the ohms settings (although surely one would be OK?). I don't think there's anything wrong with the earth lead and screw but I'll un do it never the less and make sure the surface is shiny.

What happens if I don't get any reading at all? Does that mean that I need a new float?

I'm a little concerned about removing it as there's not enough room above. I could cut the fibreglass but would rather not.

G

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Some senders operate from 0-80 ohms, some from 0-200 (or 20-240, like my one), so your multimeter needs to be in the right range to read correctly (it might just be over-ranging, i.e. the sender resistance is higher than the scale you are set to).

That said, I have come across more open circuit fuel senders than just about anything else. The float actuates a wiper that traverses a wirewound quadrant, after a few (hundred) fill-ups the resistance wire wears a bit thin and then... ping! Open circuit, no matter what the fuel level is.

Removal of the sender might be the only realistic option I'm afraid.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Before committing yourself to removing the sender, switch to checking the earth wire is actually going to earth with your multimeter
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

Thanks for all your help. I can confirm that the float sender is to blame. I managed to get it out without having to cut any fibreglass above (that surprised me) and checked it with the multimeter. Nothing. Tried all other tests too.

I've got a new one on order. The rubber seal was a bit shabby too so all in all I'm pretty happy to be buying a new one, like everything else on the car!

Replacing the sender should sort it out.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl