Thread: Indicators + Welding = Mess

Indicators + Welding = Mess

Most things during my re-build have gone well. Very few haven't. Here's one of them...

You may re-call on my re-build post that one of the threads on one of my Nova's side indicator sheared off when I tried to undo the nut. Well, unable to prise off all the metal clips holding the main part to the base I took it to the engineering firm for them to weld additional threaded bar to the existing thread. Apparently as soon as the welding torch blasted the thread the lense on the other side melted and collapsed, leaving a sticky mess and a buggered 1965 rare Italian indicator. Great.

Fortunately (amazingly) I've sourced a supplier of these lenses so have a pair on order. But, I had to buy a pair as they wouldn't sell me just one. £££

Don't put a welding torch near your indicators.

G

Re: Indicators + Welding = Mess

I'm amazed that they tried to weld to a part with plastics attached - and I would have thought that if they got the stub hot enough to weld a new bit of threaded rod to it they would have melted the aluminium/mazac? rear casting as well, but there you go - hope they didn't charge you for 'customising' it for you?
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

He said something about galvanised steel, possibly refering to the stud, and it started spitting. I don't think there was honestly an answer. In hindsight I should have put copper grease on the threads when I first fitted them. Then the nut would have come off without the stud breaking. Oh well.

Well, look at it this way, you will now have a spare lens for a rare 1965 Italian indicator. You never know when you'll need a spare.

I actually watched on American Restoration Rick making a copy of a indicator lens for an old scooter, making a latex mould from the remaining one and pouring a two part amber plastic it. looked as good as new.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl