Thread: Reverse Gear

Reverse Gear

It's been so long since I drove my Nova that I forget how to select reverse. Most sites I've seen on the topic are hard to distinguish if they are US or not (which of course means the opposite - their left is our right etc), so I could do with a proper confirmation please.

I think I push the gear stick down, then pull it towards me (driver) and pull it back (toward the rear of the car. Is that right?

OK, so the next question...

When you select reverse does the gear stick stay 'down' and then pop back up as you move the lever from reverse back to neutral? Or does it pop back up as soon as it's slotted into reverse and therefore when moving from reverse to neutral it's already at the same height?

I'm trying to work out if I can actually find reverse (without starting the thing and dying of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Thanks, Giles

Re: Reverse Gear

Push down and left and back.....not sure about the 'staying down and popping-up' bit, I assumed that the push down was just to defeat the detent after which it popped up again.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Oh OK, thanks. I was going to the right and pulling back. So it's down and to the left and back. I'm sure i tried that too but it didn't feel any different. I'll try again tomorrow.

Mine stays down. From memory I think it slides under a plate and pops back up when it gets back to neutral.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Mine stays down. From memory I think it slides under a plate and pops back up when it gets back to neutral.
    That's what I thought. Hopefully that is what will happen tomorrow.

In case you're wondering why I brought this up I have almost completed engineering my replica F355 gear shaft and managed to fit it earlier. No quick shift this time and a much longer (and thinner) shaft. I can't tell you how much nicer it is changing gear now (currently stationary in the garage). The throw is longer but I much prefer that. I managed to get all 4 gears! (if you remember last time I talked about this I was having great trouble).