Thread: Quite Ugly... worthy of a place here?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Quite Ugly... worthy of a place here?

So there I was, casually searching for Lancia Stratos Zero replicas (hoping to discover the fate of the Andy Saunders car, if truth be told), when I happened upon this...

http://youtu.be/a50eiIZ1x1Y

The region of Ebikon advertised on the side of the van is in Switzerland, just North of Lake Lucerne.

All of the details from the original car are present, but arranged in such a way that it looks quite awkward. Also, do those steel wheels look familiar? Beetle base would be an obvious choice for this sort of thing.

I hope whoever bought it didn't pay too much

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Re: Quite Ugly... worthy of a place here?

Damnit Lauren! Do you realize how hard that was to not follow YouTube links looking for more Stratos videos I haven't seen.

On a somewhat related note, been contemplating buying a Stratos kit just recently. Mind you, it's much, much, much smaller than the real deal.

Sorry mate. As I discovered myself, there's plenty more to see now that the original car has moved to the Petersen museum in LA (I wondered who had bought it at Villa d'Este last year).

I too have discovered the delights of small supercar ownership. Running costs are low, driving enjoyment is high. My garage currently has a Carabo, Marzal, Miura P400, Mercedes C111, Adams Probe 16, OSI Scarabeo, De Tomaso Mangusta and an Alfa Romeo Montreal. The Mangusta has been in a big crash at some point in its life; it seems even a 1:43 Dinky car suffers from chassis flex

Lauren

Lauren, did you find out what had happened to Andy Saunders' X1/9 based Stratos?

Dear lord Lauren, thought you organised the brink matt robbery when I read the list of cars in your garage, only to discover the dinky mention at the end, you tease. Xxx
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

Quote Originally Posted by edmorton
    Lauren, did you find out what had happened to Andy Saunders' X1/9 based Stratos?
    Hi Ed - unfortunately not. It was sold (along with several other Saunders creations) by RM auctions in 2009. AS put an estimate of £30-40k on it, but in the end it sold for just £17.5k to a buyer in Arizona USA.

Shortly afterwards Michael Jackson died and the car was put on ebay as the "Michael Jackson Moonwalker car" (the body was one of the engineless shells moulded specially for the feature), with a starting price of $100k.

Unfortunately I can't find any further trace of it on the Interweb - all of the news features date from 2009 so I don't even know if anyone coughed up the asking price.

According to Andy Saunders three Zero shells were moulded from the Bertone original for the movie. The one used for the replica is allegedly the only one remaining, but who knows? There may be two others out there, waiting for a more factory correct Lancia V4 installation!!!

Lauren