Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Audi are good too
    Peter,
    Care to elaborate?

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Re: EMPI rear disk Conversion

That Chesil Speedster replacement Beetle chassis at the Exeter show a couple of years back used Audi (VAG) brake parts.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

I would phone Chesil and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4
    I would phone Chesil and ask them.
    Looking back at the pics I posted of the Chesil chassis here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2411 I realise that the mountings on the fancy chassis are so different to the standard Beetle that my suggestion is totally invalid.

Mick
    Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

You think, Mine are so not standard at the front but the rears are easy, just a bit of bent 3mm plate with holes in.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Peter,
    Thanks for the pictures they say a lot.

Your rear discs look very much like the EMPI conversion discs Are they?

The rear discs on my converion are only 45mm in total height. The caliper mount is then straight, not bent like on your converion & the Empi conversion. I am still not finding it easy to find any where that can make or supply a replacement rota.

My mate has done his best at skimming off the high spot but I think the disc is very warped. It looked true enough in the lathe but on the car, slightly pull on the hand brake while moving & the grab/release/grab/release (and associated squeek) is very very noticable. You can also feel it through the brake peddle.

My mates mate suggested that if it is no good I could always machine off the disk but leave enough metal to step in & then bolt a flat rota to that, similar to what you see on motor cycles.

I'll get there eventually.

Thanks
    Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I looked in my 'black book' of past invoices, (amazing how much!) and can't find the rear disc conversion, I know it was in 2003/4. I think it was a Bugpack kit from California, ( http://www.westcoastcore.com/servlet/Categories ) which is much the same as a Scat or IMPI one. This looks much the same as mine and at a bit over 200 pounds plus shipping beats VW heritage. ( http://tinyurl.com/cgdyua5 ) by a long way. You need to make sure you get the right ones for your axles.

Try google for 4x130 brake discs or rotors, I think the Skoda Octavia has this size and has discs front and rear, The earlier rear engined Skodas certainly had 4x130 front discs, (Estelle, Rapide), you might be able to machine the VW rear hub down to just the bolt holes and then pop another rotor over it as on most modern cars, Just need to drill and tape a M6 and hole for locating screw. There seems to be enough room between the hub face and the caliper to move the disc out and use a straight bracket.

Calipers are the least of your troubles I even fitted RX5 ones to the front of mine untill Wilwood did me a great deal on a pair of their radial fitting ones, with a bit of imagination its easy to make some brackets up, my front ones started life as a lump of alloy and bit of heavy wall alloy tubing from the off-cut man at Stoneliegh in 2006 but you can just buy the brackets.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    you might be able to machine the VW rear hub down to just the bolt holes and then pop another rotor over it as on most modern cars, Just need to drill and tape a M6 and hole for locating screw
    You mean, something like this?

That's my rear setup, which I think is the same as BushBoys. At least we think so, we've chatted via PM about it. Didn't think to send photos to make sure though. I have a couple more if you want them Bushy, they're in my Photobucket account.

8]

Similar to my set up. But an added tip - if you use wheel studs (with screw on wheel nuts) like I have then you don't need to worry about fixing the two hub plates together as the studs do that.

Giles.

For what it's worth, and just to confuse further Nena's rear disc kit was an Empi bundle from either VW Heritage or Big Boy's Toys (all the same company now) and went on really easily. It also never gave me any problems - as I recall the discs used are actually Golf units.

I did pass over the Part nos and info for replacement pads etc to Ces when he bought Nena, so may still have it.

I painted the calipers - but aside from that bolted in with no difficulties