Thread: Bonnet fitting

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Bonnet fitting

I found ref to a bonnet issue here... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=746 but thought I'd also seen ref to the bonnet not fitting along the front edge as well when a nostril style bonnet was fitted in place of the normal mk2 bonnet, with the curve being different? Does anyone remember where that was, and was there any reason for it? Are the bonnets interchangeable, Alzax3 mentions that he thought they were the same, but... Alex?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Bonnet fitting

There shouldn't be any difference between the two types of bonnet moulding; that said, the position of the hinge bolts at the rear corners, being a non-factory feature, could be in a different place, which could result in the bonnet front edge fouling the lip.

Another possibility might be if the curvature of the bonnet is reduced for some reason, perhaps being sat under something for a long time. Other than that, I can't think of any other reasons why a Mk1 bonnet wouldn't fit a Mk2 body - in fact, the Elams and Sam Cobley offered both designs to customers.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi. I have a mark 1 bonnet fitted in place of a mark 2 bonnet on a mark 2 body. It fits and there's no fouling at the back, along the sides or at the front. However, the curvature is noticably different to my previous mark 2 - it does not curve up, at either side, high enough. This means that the body is higher than the bonnet sides, at one place by about 1cm.

You can see photos of my bonnet near the start of my re-build thread.

When it comes to my Nova having its body prepped for the paint I will try to have this addressed as it's not good enough for me. I feel the only solution is to have the bonnet modified with fibreglass and dare I say it - filler. It would have to be a well crafted job though.

It's interesting seeing the difference of the Nova with each the two bonnets attached when looking at it face on. I prefer the authentic look and detail of the 'nostrils' but actually a plain mark 2 bonnet makes the Nova look wider. Somehow the nostrils drag the front of the Nova inwards to the eye. Shame I can't have both nostrils and the wider perception.

G

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

thanks for the info Spacenut and NovaF4... `¬) I'll check out your build thread tomorrow! Cheers!

My Mk 1 came with a Mk 2 bonnet, which had to go! I borrowed Bushboy's Reek bonnet (which fitted despite being designed for a car that is happier the other way up!) and took a mould from that. The result has since been modified a fair bit to allow for the alterations to the front wings, and the lights in the nostrils among other things.
    The Mk2 shells were famous for being taken out of the moulds too early and allowed to cure unsupported, so they tend to 'droop' (there you go Peter!) at the front, with the wheel arch curve altering a little as they went. Whether this affects the bonnet line I cannot say, but I can see that it might.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Just bringing this one back as looking at my bonnet at the moment.
    I have started the lovely process of preparing for paint which is booked for august.
    And since booking I have changed the colour that I want several times, but the car has chosen for me !!
    Anyway, bonnets.
    My offside wing is proud of the bonnet line by 1cm. I note that Giles had the same issue. So is this a common problem?
    Does anyone else have a misaligned bonnet? Did they overcome the issue, and if so how?
    Is it something I have to live with?

Buffy

A lot of the problems with glass fibre mouldings stem from how long they were left in the mould (Elam body shells were removed too quickly and allowed to sit on their flanges, the weight of the front end caused the front to droop, 'hinging' at the front wheel arch) and how they have been stored (they will twist and warp over time, they will even move on the car in high temperatures......) The thinner the panel, the more it will move, which is why production moulds can be up to an inch thick...

If the panels don't fit and you're having the car painted, you're just going to have to grind and fill until you're happy....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Nice explanation. I have often wondered why the nose on some Nova's seem to droop - now I know why.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Droop snoops rock yeah!

But back to what passes for sanity for me these days; The SS has a similar problem and working with two other owners on their rebuilds it was found the MkI bonnet (and door roofs) are just a single panel but my MkIII has three 'ribs' running from front to back, drilling a hole in one I find they are made of 1" x 1 1/2" foam strips layered with two coats of GRP. Mine was still a bit 'flat' relative to the wings but I just did the tension and heat trick* and it went back into shape.

*apply bungees or ratchet straps from top to bottom like a bow string and apply gentle heat over the centre section until it moves a bit, GRP will soften in heat, let it cool and you should be back in shape, or at least the bonnet will, me? Well, that's another thing.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl