Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbybrown's New Nova - It's Arrived!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Dan,

Glad you're making progress!

On your starter motor issue, if it's working fine on the bench, a new power supply is one possibility but I'd check it's properly earthed first ... what condition is your earth strap from the chassis to the gearbox in? Probably worth taking it off and cleaning it up (or replacing it?)

If you're not using heat exchangers you could just leave the 2 pipes in place or cut them off. However, the lack of heat being transferred to the inlet manifold just under the single carb could result in the carb freezing up. If so, you can get a 12V de-icing unit from VW Heritage ....

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/...t-12-volt.html

Other suppliers are of course available, eg ....

https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/product/imdu/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inlet-man...-/391258138295

Alistair

Thanks Alistair thatís very helpful.
    The earth strap is good, I get the same result with a jump lead running from the gearbox to the battery negative terminal.

Dan
    Earth lead is key area to ensure it is clean and solid. I also noticed the thickness of the red lead in the photo. If that is linked to the starter , then replace with one twice as thick ..

Temp coil wiring I think Mark, starter cables are over the other side

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    So. This is todayís update.
    Replacement engine in, bodge fuel system (I realise the issue) but it does try to live.

I took an educated guess with the engine wiring as itís different to the previous engine but it hasnít caused any issues thus far.

Iím still having problems with electrics, even with a fully charged battery the starter will just click, if I take the starter out and operate it on the bench itís fine. But when in the car it can take 50 key turns to get it actually working without just clicking or clunking.

This in mind, I am toying with the idea of running a different main power cable to the starter to see if it makes a difference. What gauge of wire would this need to be?
    4-2 gauge wire is used for a starter.

Starter bushing could be worn out(replace if bad), also the starter could be bad. works with no load but when a load is applied it doesn't work is sometimes a sign of a bad starter. check the bushing first and make sure you are using the proper gauge wire.

Sorry don't know what a bodged fuel system means. Couldn't find a translation on the web.

Bit of hose in to a bottle containing fuel just to get it to fire Brett, thanks for the info on the starter. I have had trouble with the starter for a while so maybe a replacement is worth a shot as you say.

Before you spend money on a starter have the battery tested under a load.

Just putting a volt meter on the battery is not good enough. That will not tell you if the battery is good or bad. It will just tell you the voltage in the battery

There are battery testers that apply a load to the battery and don't cost much. One of the best investments I ever made was getting one.

You can charge a battery all day and it will read 12v with no load but when applying a load, it can fail the test. So check that first.

Now in that video it sounds like the engine is not running on all cylinders and its burning oil(blue smoke coming out of the exhaust)

From a cold engine if you run it for a few seconds and quickly touch the exhaust pipes at each cylinder you can tell which cylinders are firing.(hot or cold)

Thanks Brett, the battery on there is brand new to rule it out, was delivered last week and is fully charged. Iíve also tried a second battery I have.
    Its difficult to do anything with the engine until the starter problem is solved, as it can take 50-60 key turns before it actually wants to turn over

So the starter is perfect off the car and the solenoid flicks in when jumped, but not good when use use the ignition key!
    So , to me, the fault is the wiring between the key and solenoid.
    Can you make a jumper wire, attached to 12v and the solenoid wire. Add a switch in between so when you press the switch it activates the solenoid. It means you can test from the back of the car rather than using the key.
    It that works then you know the fault is the wire from the key to the starter.

Further to the above, when I took my car to Stones it was also a sod to start, just like what you describe. I used a push button start with my car rather than a key. I bought a new push start button for a fiver and it was then working perfectly.