Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbybrown's New Nova - It's Arrived!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Quite a long time since the last update, the Nova arrived back with me yesterday and from initial inspection and word from bushboy the engine is seized, so Iím currently on the hunt for a replacement aircooled engine!
    The elements also havenít been kind the body, which needs a ton of work to get it back to what it used to be back when it was on the road, so will be project in the corner of the workshop for a short time I think, but the engine is the most important part!
    Aggghhh - Sorry to hear that man

Engine seized on an air cooled? Not a problem and easy fixed, no need for a whole engine, just a set of A&A 1641c pistons and barrels at worst, usually just a top end strip and clean bores with a flap wheel, I had same problem. but then went overboard, as I do.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Yes as Peter say's it's an easy fix with new pistons and barrels. You might even be able to free the pistons and get away with fitting new rings. Better and much cheaper than taking a chance on a second hand engine that is just as likely to have it's own issues
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

True, there has been engine issues for as long as I can remember, mostly caused by the twin carbs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    True, there has been engine issues for as long as I can remember, mostly caused by the twin carbs I think.
    They are a PIG to get right, even with a vac' gauge. Single blockage in a drilling or jet and there is no way you will get them right and on mine I have them off at the moment as I had the engine moved for new mounts.
    I need to clean all the drilling and jets (Carburettor or brake cleaner) again and reassemble "by the book" (which I have). Need to make a stand too so I can calibrate the pump jets as per 'the book'.

Honestly Dan I think a good wash and 'T cut', a top end strip and a carb' overhaul is all that's needed. Just need the time. Oh yeh! and that fuel gauge mod' to the fuel tank we spoke about YEARS AGO, I still have the M6 blind alloy Rivnuts.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Those years have passed by quickly Peter, still no gauge!

The wash and t-cut is ambitious, itís going to need a couple of weeks in the corner of the shop with fibreglass, filler and primer.

Maybe an engine strip down and a single carb would be a good start. Letís get the top end off and see what we are looking at.

Single carb, on your car!!!!!!
    Nnnooooooo😂😂

😂 the dual kadrons are overkill

Phill, I seem to recall you telling me in a post somewhere about rewiring the car and how you found it easier than you anticipated, I believe you even said it was quite therapeutic!

Given that with a full rewire I’m not really sure where to start, are there any tips you could recommend as you have done it relatively recently?

I don’t have the modifications manual to hand to check while typing this but does it list the gauge of each wire that is needed?

The majority of the wiring in the car works already, but it is old and somewhere between the battery in the front and the starter in the back there is a power drop which used to cause trouble when trying to start. Some of the other wiring is a bit of a mess so it may be cleaner and quicker to simply remove it all and start again.

I’m very much in the mindset of let’s do this once and do it right now it’s back with me.

Dan
    Rip it out and then start again, but do it in sections.
    Dash
    Engine
    Lights front and rear
    Accessories
    It you look in the CBS catalogue you will find that they do a complete fusebox installation which also includes relays. They also show a simple wiring diagram for how to wire it up.
    Once you understand the principles and break down into sections it will make sense.
    The art to wiring is to keep it tidy ....