Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbybrown's New Nova - It's Arrived!!

Thanks Peter.
    Removing it will drop the carb down quite low and looks as if it may foul, will it cause any harm being left in situ?
    I’ll see what I can find for a grommet, didn’t notice that!
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 10-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.

As long as ther is no air inlet to the manifold should be OK.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Great!

'cause, I would chuck on a pair of Dells,
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Let’s get it running properly first before I mess with it

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Like Brett says, re starter - check the bush that the starter spindle fits into when fitting to engine, if that's worn you will have turning problems... cheap fix `¬)

So, I’ve done a little experimenting with the starter.
    Basically I’ve added a relay to the rear of the car, one terminal connected to starter, one connected to the wire coming from the key switch, one to power and one to ground.
    9 times out of 10 this now seems to be the result.

Fitting a secondary relay near the starter is something I had to do on a Dazon 1100 buggy too.

I tried a new ignition switch, new connections, new +30 ignition feed but still only 50% of the time did it catch.,

It was due to the poor +30 feed and conductivity from the ignition switch to the starter solinoid and that was not getting sufficient amps to bang in. The power from the ignition switch was good enough for the smaller relay but not the much bigger solenoid. Good earth straps a vital also, especially the one bridging from gearbox across mounting to the chassis leg.

By appliying power direcly from battery to solinoid increases the power and ensures a solid contact. running a 16A wire from switch the solinoid does much the same thing providing the +30 at the switch is good.

I have an 80A solinoid next to the starer but I made it a latching one so a quick jab on the starter button and the starter continues untill the engine starts then the -12v from the alternator (thin wire) which earths the relay changes to +12v and as +12v plus +12v = 0v it drops out.

(+30 = permanent positive, +15 = ignition live, ACC = accessory live)

Good solution Dan - Well done. My car suffers a similar problem in that if the battery isn't fully charged my starter switch fitted inside the car fails to operate. I have a separate starter switch mounted on the rear panel which is fed power from the live feed on the starter and it always works. I assume it's the resistance in the longer wire from the dashboard to the starter that's the issue and was going to replace it with a thicker wire causing less resistance, but your solution to use a smaller relay before the starter solenoid is probably better and an easier fix.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Today’s progress.
    In need of a rocker cover gasket which is on the way and will be here tomorrow, but progress is certainly thick and fast the last few days.

I need to re-do the quick wiring I did this morning to get it to start and route it properly, but this is where we are up to at the moment.