Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast

Thread: Bobbybrown's New Nova - It's Arrived!!

Not sure no, but I havenít come across one yet. Iíll do some digging

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post

There does seem to be a voltage drop between the front and back of the car, the starter and coil read 9.5v with the ignition on, once the engine is running they are both where they should be. Odd.
    I guess one thing that I don't understand is why the starter would be getting any voltage at all with the key in the "on" position. The only time the starter should be getting voltage(from the ignition switch, I assume this is where your taking your readings from) is when the key is turned to the start position.

Not sure Brett, itís how itís always been wired up, before I had it.

Iíve posted before about the starter trouble I have; where it clunks and doesnít do much else.
    I solved it temporarily with the relay mod I added but itís given up again. Iíve tried running new cables direct from the battery and manually bridging it to rule out the switch and wiring in the car, same result just a clunk. So, I picked this up today. If this doesnít solve it then I donít know what will!

I hope it does as I have exactly the same problem and I have a 'turn-over' button in the engine bay directly connected to the starter. If yours cure it then I will buy a new one too, not that expensive after all and I think mine might be the 1966 one as well.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Here is the result!

Congratulations Dan! I've had just this problem a couple or three times - it's always (I've dismantled to check) been a layer of crud on the solenoid contacts - occasionally they'd let the power through, but not reliably. I'm sure my new one will start doing it in time.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    When fitting the new starter did you check / replace the bush in the housing that the starter spindle fits into? I had problems with turning over many years ago and found the bush was worn on one internal edge which means the starter spindle is not held in the correct place... sometime it would work and other times not, might be worth replacing the bush if you are fitting a new starter motor? `¨)

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Excellent Dan! I had the same problem with my starter when I was trying to get my engine going for the first time in 30 years earlier this year .. a new starter solved it for me too.

Alistair

It was the final thing to try.
    I can get rid of the ďlow batteryĒ click before it spins too, just need an hour or two spare at work so I can run a couple of cables.

Great result, off to the shop today, not messing about with fixing the (very) old one, I tried it a few time with various motors including a Nissan 6L 24V one but they never last long afterwards. once they are f*****d they stay f*****d
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl