Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Option maybe

Option maybe

Eagle ss's are cheap to come by and most are registered correctly ,

Now whats to stop someone snapping up the one on ebay for £500 and swapping the body for a nova one :-)

And then having a non vw beetle v5

Re: Option maybe

Only two ways of doing this.
    Firstly you change the body and if stopped by plod or worse VOSA you say it is an Eagle and hope they don't know what the difference is.
    Secondly you change the body and get it inspected by the DVLA and have it as a body change to a NOVA then all is fine. The latter is the preferred method BUT all local DVLA offices are going to be shut by 2014 so the inspections will be done by VOSA who will know what they are on about whereas the local offices at the moment don't and don't really give a damn as they are loosing their jobs.

There is one very important thing to make sure of and that is that the Eagle is correctly documented and that the chassis number is correct and easily identified and not stamped on somewhere by someone else, also note that dropped pans are classed as a chassis mod and so in real terms the car should loose it's identity unless you can prove beyond doubt that it was done prior to 1998 (I think).

Look on the ACE site for the 8 points rule, you will be surprised how easy it is to fall foul of it, dropped pans or on a proper chassis removing the outriggers or chopping the back off of a chassis after the rear axle mounts all deem the identity void.

Having said all that I have done a body change on another project and I will just wait till I get stopped and see what happens.

But if its registerd as a eagle , a dropped pan is not a chassis mod , as the eagle is the donor , and your not modifiying it in any way :-)

This is what im thinking ,,,,,,,,

Any thoughts

Are you talking about a Ford based SS in which case the chassis and body are sold as a kit (although bolted together same as the VW version) and the chassis/kit number is on the V5, or should be.
    As the VW and Ford SS share a common (VW) foot print it would be possible to plonk a Nova body on a SS Ford chassis with the addition of floors etc. and have a front engine Nova, neat!
    In the case of a VW based SS the VIN goes by chassis so it doesn't matter what body you have or what name you give it and if already registered, any chassis mod'. such as dropped floors will be included.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

not that we all wanna go and break up the last remaining ss's

but was just thinking if a ss logbook said make vw model sport , then it could take any bodyshell,,
    if it said eagle ss then im sure you could still class a nova body conversion as a body swap from a car that is registered as having dropped floorpans ect ,

i know ,,, i think too much lol

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever built a front engine mounted nova????
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

i did this a few years back lol , just to show a v8 would sit low enough ,

Yes,I have already admired the engineering of this spectacular car but that is an eagle is it not, does the nova not have much lower bodywork at the front given that it was designed as a rear engine drive,whereas the eagle had a chassis design and bodywork for a front mounted engine albeit a ford and not a v8 which I think you squeezed in.

Could not a rover k series be canted over and shoe horned into a custom chassis????

The thing with the DVLA and VOSA is that they say what goes and you have to prove otherwise. I still have my Mk1 Capri which I put a rover V8 in back in 1982, I also installed a narrowed Jaguar IRS and put a cortina front clip suspension in at the same time. I informed DVLA of the engine change but there was never a section for putting down the axles used or the gearbox which came out of a Mk4 Zodiac, four speed with overdrive.
    To fit the gearbox I had to cut and reshape the transmission tunnel. The IRS was basically back halved (make a chassis/subframe and weld it in place) after cutting the floor and the Capri "chassis" legs, similar works to put the front end in.
    As I have modified the monocoque it fails on the 8 points rule and if I get stopped for whatever and they insist on inspecting the vehicle I will lose the registration and have to get it BIVA tested and then I would (if it passes) be given a Q plate.
    If I can prove that the body mods were performed before the 1998 (still uncertain on exact year) I can tell them to get stuffed, however to prove it you need documented evidence, either magazine articles or photographs of it getting done etc. which I don't have (just a few of me doing the engine transplant and that is it).
    Having said all that I would think you would have to be driving like a total spangle to get stopped and them insist on inspecting the car, unless you are contravening construction and use. You make your choice and take your chances.