Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opening side windows, ideas please

Re: opening side windows, ideas please

That rule is crazy,
    Surely you stop if you hit something or someone?
    I'm surprised there isn't a rule dictating you need to be able to re-inflate your tyres from the drivers seat. You know just in case you have a blowout and you don't want to stop.

Blows my mind.

Firstly why are you bothering as your car is on a Q plate therefore is legal whatever you do over in the UK and from your past posts getting it legal in Spain was a no no. Have you found a way to get it legal so you can drive in Spain?

If you are serious about doing this then the easiest, quickest and most effective way would be to have sliding windows either like the original minis or some race cars, this would be fine for both adjustment of the mirror and for paying at wrong sided tolls. KISS.

At the moment it is Q plate but I am no longer in the UK and I have been informed that I can get it legal in Spain but it will have to satisfy the equivalent of the IVA (inspección especial, sort of super MoT) when I swap it for a Spanish Reg'. I know it raises the question, "Why swap for a Spanish reg, why not keep the Q", well we can no longer drive on foreign plates if resident, ex-pats got away with it for years with no tax or MoT, as long as some sort of insurance was shown but the EU law now says, "all vehicles must be road legal in the country of registration" and I'm buggered if I'll drive the 3100 Km round trip every year to get a MoT and buy the tax disc and as a resident they have now removed the period of driving before changing plates on none Spanish vehicles from 6 months, to 3 months, to nil. (tourists still have 6 months).
    It's not uncommon for a cyclist, or even a motorcyclist, to cut down the middle of traffic and clip the mirror, let alone put a bloody great scratch down the side, stop, don't make me laugh.
    Cutting the window in half might be difficult to make it slide and no, I can't use Perspex, it must all be CE marked glass apart from rear window.
    So, now you begin to see the problems.
    These problems would also apply to a UK car passing the IVA, just one more reason or two a SS wouldn't pass.

You think that's daft, my step-son has a BMW 525 diesel with (genuine BMW) M5 kit on it and he had to have a special inspection, (10 minuets) just to get the side skirts, bumpers and spoiler onto the log book details so it would pass future annual tests.! 250€, thank you very much.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Ok so you are finally going to get it registered over there. Do they require their rules or the BIVA rules? For a kit car or special build BIVA allow plastic/polycarb side screens but they have to be marked just like a glass screen E43 or something.

I can get you a contact over here that can cut down landrover defender flat glass to just about any size and shape (obviously smaller) and also another guy that makes polycarb widows for race cars if it's of any help. One in Norfolk one in Shropshire, they should be able to do something from patterns.

Other than that why not let the whole piece of glass hinge from the top or the pillar.

One other thing I thought your glass was the wrong size anyway?

Finally HAVING to get it registered here, years ago one just had to have a Spanish ITV, some insurance, didn't matter from whom and screw the tax, not no more ya don't.
    Side windows, I have one MkII/III side window and a pair of MKi windows which are quite different. but the MkIs do have holes in the front as opposed to bottom and top corners. Both have a pop open catch at the rear bottom.
    Thinking front hinged might be an idea, Having seen if the MkI windows would fit with a bit trimmed off of the front tip I just need to work out the geometry of two hinges that will allow the window to hinge forward about 120 degrees after releasing the pop open catch at the bottom rear without intruding into the cockpit, so C brackets wouldn't do as they would intrude to much. BUT, we are beginning to get somewhere.
    Having eliminated all the possibilities, what ever is left, however improbable, must be the truth.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Given that the weather in Spain is bit more pleasant than it is here (and you probably wouldn't be out driving in the rain deliberately anyway), could you arrange for the windows to be completely removable? Like a glass sunroof? Like a sunroof you are not able to respond instantly to changes in weather, but convertible drivers have similar issues. I was also wondering about plastic wind deflectors to smooth out the turbulence - just the ticket when temperatures are 100° in the shade

Just a thought

I have to admit the mirror rule seems crazy to me. I mean, you are banned by law from eating, drinking, using a mobile phone, texting, applying lippy, playing Suduko etc. while driving, yet it is mandatory to be able to drive along while at the same time adjusting your offside mirror, an act that requires you to look BACKWARDS while driving FORWARDS!!!

If the answer is "stop the car and adjust the mirror" then what is to stop you from getting out? Alligators???

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Thinking of hinges, 'C' shaped inner and outer wrapped around A post of window frame, inner (purple bit) slides out of outer (blue bit) with an angle on the end fixed to the window via a grommet (black bit) which (as now) would allow a bit of tilt, pop a clip out the over centre catch at the rear to release it and push window forward and up. Now , how does one keep it there for moment whilst ones left arm is flapping in the breeze? AH! spring loaded pin (red bit) that drops in behind end of inner and pull out to release.

Kind like super version of a sunroof hinge

True one could drive with no windows but even in Marbella the contents and possibly anything bolted in as well would be gone in 60 seconds. Another funny thing in Spain, theft of any item under 300€ is not considered a 'serious crime' and one only receives a warning!