Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumps and Electrics

Right.
    Had a mail back from hydraproducts. That pump is £198 plus £18 delivery plus the VAT which I don't think is bad. I'd waste more money trying to find and adapt a cabriolet pump.
    Will see what the customer wants to do.

Where abouts on here am I likely to find wiring info?

Steve

Don’t forget with this setup you will probably need the RS Components speed control valve also so factor that cost in.

Here is a wiring diagram I have for the Smiths Industries Reversible mini pack (I was told it was slower than the Hydrapack but don't know for sure), it should work just fine as the principle of reversing the wires for a direction change is the same.

I do have a more overly complicated one that I used for my car, which has Auto / Manual switches to swap between the remote control and internal switches, as well as limit switches on the rams when in Auto mode. Its probably a bit of an overkill as i'm no electrician and I may even revert to a modified version of this simpler one as it seems more elegant

Actually I would also like any views on the better of the two approaches or other improvements from any suitably knowledgeable folk out there
    Last edited by islandman; 02-11-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Hi islandman

• Why did you use a changeover switch to go from remote to manual operation? I would have thought both could exist on the same circuit or did you believe the remote could fail and jam in a mode.

• Do you believe limit switches are required? Does the Hydraproducts pump not have pressure relief valves?

I plan to use a remote control with both open and close buttons (Rather than a single button toggle system). In which case the circuit shown on the Fluidlink leaflet should work with the remote, a dash mounted rocker switch and a hidden key switch.

Steve

Thinking the same, I need two pumps, (or an accumulator), one for each door and I have a 4 channel remote ($24 on Ebay) so I can open/close each side independently.
    Problem is cost of two pumps, I only need small reversible pumps as I only need to use a 1/2" x 8" ram (103cc) and 60 Lbs. of thrust, don't really need to go for two big roof pumps as it would be over kill, thinking, thinking......

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by steve_d View Post
    Hi islandman

• Why did you use a changeover switch to go from remote to manual operation? I would have thought both could exist on the same circuit or did you believe the remote could fail and jam in a mode.

• Do you believe limit switches are required? Does the Hydraproducts pump not have pressure relief valves?

I plan to use a remote control with both open and close buttons (Rather than a single button toggle system). In which case the circuit shown on the Fluidlink leaflet should work with the remote, a dash mounted rocker switch and a hidden key switch.

Steve
    I have a manual / Auto switch as I don't want by chance for the remote to get pushed (stuck in a pocket or whilst someone fiddles with it) whilst traveling down the road. I don't know if anyone has seen what happens when the canopy opens at 80 MPH and I don't want to be the one the finds out

Yes the Hydrapack motors have pressure relief valves, but the limit switches are for when its in auto mode so that the motor cuts out when its fully open or fully closed. You don't want the motor spinning for 2 hours if you happen to want the canopy open that long do you

I fitted a remoting system to mine this year and like Dave I have fitted limit switches to stop the roof pump running on against the clutch. After loads of trials looking at the different failure modes that could occur I have modified the system so that it opens on the remote but closes only with an external press button/key switch or an internally mounted toggle switch that manually allows me to open or close the roof whilst inside. To prevent the accidental opening whilst driving syndrome the remote is locked out when ignition is switched on.
    The reason for making the decision for only remoting opening was based on consideration of when I would use it.
    When I'm waliking towards the car (in the petrol station after filling up) I can press the tit and the roof is open by the time I get there. When I arrive somewhere, open the roof and jump out, I turn the external key and press the button, the roof closes as I walk away.
    While driving the internal toggle switch allows me to crack the roof for a breeze in traffic or open the roof to get out or pay parking etc.
    If you need a complete circuit I can probably draw one up from the notes I've made.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Peter
    Your two door requirement seems to fit perfectly with the cabriolet roof pumps many of which are reversible. They seem to be available for about £60 on eBay. With only the single ram they should be quite quick.

Mick & Islandman
    Had not considered the roof opening whilst driving. The cars wiring will include a relay to share the ignition load so I will power the remote via the normally closed contacts of the ignition relay.
    When referring to ‘auto mode’ I’m assuming a monetary press of the remote starts the roof sequence which completes when it reaches the limit switch. I plan to have the roof only working whilst the remote is held. I think the system will be simpler with less to go wrong. The dash switch will be a momentary type so again the roof will only open whilst the switch is held.

Steve

Dave/Mick,
    I would be interested in more info on the limit switches, inside uses a momentary push button so that's ok, outside is a toggle switch so would be ideal to have the pump cut itself off when it is fully open or fully closed etc.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    Dave/Mick,
    I would be interested in more info on the limit switches, inside uses a momentary push button so that's ok, outside is a toggle switch so would be ideal to have the pump cut itself off when it is fully open or fully closed etc.
    I bought a collection of micro switches (with long actuator arms) from eBlag and have fitted two of them to the drivers side roof hinge. I also bought a selection of magnetic reed switches and magnets and a few car door-close type switches.The micro switches were easiest to fit and adjust.
    I have one switch mounted on the lower hinge mount, in front of the front arm pivot point. This is triggered by the front hinge bar becoming vertical, which cuts the pump off at full open.
    The other one is mounted inside the upper mount and is triggered by the rear hinge bar becoming near horizontal when the roof is fully closed.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Thanks Mick, if you get a chance to show a photo of any of the switch types you have used it would be advantageous, also if you do happen to make a diagram up from your notes I would be interested to see if I could use that to add this to my existing system.

Thanks
    Dan
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*