Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Fettling...

That is a fair amount of impressive girder work, haven't seen you naked before, so well impressed, sorry, haven't seen your car naked before.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

A very pretty sight for all your hard work, you might feel like should I actually take it out of the garage incase it gets dirty.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    It seems kind of strange seeing the shots from inside the driver compartment with an open skeletal chassis and the concrete beneath it .
    Hi Dave - yes, it's one of the reasons why I took the snaps with the engine and gearbox removed - somehow the frame looks more delicate when there is empty space in between!

There is a bolted-in engine crossmember (not shown here) which ties the forward part of the engine bay together and acts as the engine front mounting, so the gaping hole in the middle is not actually as large as it appears here!

Do you know how much the green machine weighs versus a VW chassis Nova, is there a big difference?
    Not a big difference, but the Green Machine is heavier than the quoted weight of a VW based Nova. If you believe the hype (I'm not sure I do), the Green Machine is a whopping 80kg heavier than the weight quoted by the Elams. But I do have a frame that gives side intrusion protection, is torsionally stiffer than a VW pan and has a braced FIA-spec roll-over hoop, so I'm not too unhappy. When we corner-weight measured the car with all fluids and reserve fuel (10 litres), it still tipped the scales at a relatively svelte (by modern car standards) 830 kg...

Also in some shots (maybe the angle) the ground clearance looks really quite limited
    My minimum ground clearance is under the front undertray, which is 4". Around the back the clearance to the exhaust is about 5", not too bad, but obviously I negotiate speed humps gingerly!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good to see some shiny bits bolted in; great work!

Just relooked at the photos and noticed what looks like an aluminum plate riveted to one of the rear chassis horizontals bars above the gearbox, presumably a chassis number. That got me thinking, what is the green machine registered as on the V5?

Took a few more snaps today. After a bit of soul-searching I realised that my Alfatune engine will need some further modifications before I can fit it into the car, so reluctantly decided to put the old engine back in. My intention is to sort out the Alfatune and then swap the engines over, so I need to make sure certain performance items fit properly - hence the 45mm Dellortos with velocity stacks and ITG foam filters trial-fitted!

You can see that I will need to modify my rear window/parcel shelf to provide adequate clearance around these babys. The plan is for more glazing, at a more acute angle, so passers-by can get more of an eyeful

In fact, if I can integrate a plenum chamber in the structure, I should be able to route the cold air from the shoulder intakes in at the sides, and have the option of taking the ITG filters off so the ram pipes show through the window. That would look quite cool...

You probably can't see much difference, but while I had the back wheels off re-fitting the exhaust I put a stack of washers between the hub and the wheel to increase the track. What you see there is equivalent to a 7mm wheel spacer. There is still room for more offset, I think I should be able to run wheels with zero offset and still clear the wheelarch return at full bump (current wheels are ET15).

Once the alternator is in place and the associated breather pipes etc., you won't see any of the engine block up-front.

More progress as it happens...

Lauren
    Last edited by Spacenut; 01-02-2014 at 07:02 PM.

With those new carbs and only sponge filters you will need extra ear plugs as well as your headset when running at full click.....pardon what did you say!

Also I see you have left off the protective plastic covers from the cam belts, any reason ?

If the new glazing works as planned it will look very cool!

Thanks Dave - I will use thicker polycarbonate for the window which might help a bit. I did think about double glazing (it was considered by Lamborghini for the Miura too), but I've only got 4 cylinders and 1600cc - how noisy can it be?

I said, how noisy can it be?

As for the cambelt covers, you can see how the engine sits in the chassis - they were intended to prevent stones and stuff flying in, but even the Alfasud boys don't bother with them. The first Alfasuds didn't use them either, and it saves weight as well as making cam timing checks less of a palaver!

However, that said I'm not sure I would offer the same advice for a rear-engined car such as yours!

Some more piccies...

Facet Red-Top (with optional vibration dampers) in place...

Fuel inlet is at the bottom port, outlet is at the top. The base of the pump has a bayonet fitting allowing access to the fuel filter. This is how I will gain access to it for servicing...

View from the top, between the passenger compartment bulkhead and the fuel tank on the right. Exactly the same place (more or less) as the Miura. It's only a small item, but relocating the pump from the engine compartment shifts a tiny bit of weight forwards, de-clutters the engine bay and reduces the length of the wiring harness. All good things!

Lauren

It's been a while since I've been on the forum.. good to see the car coming back together. Lauren! I can't recall seeing the sub-structure of the chassis before.. I'm impressed! The transaxle looks fabulous. It's a shame that they are getting rarer - I reckon it would be nice to score one for a spare at some point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    It's been a while since I've been on the forum.. .
    And while you are here, the Stirling site has gone down, Server not found.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl