Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard VW box

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyX21 View Post
    Sorry, just realised I resurrected a 3 year old thread
    Well that just means it has taken me over 3 years to get around to removing the engine to replace the old bits with new
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

^This

My reasoning was that as long as I wan't intending to put a turbo nutter scooby engine in then the std box would be okay.
    I don't intend to be a traffic light GP competitor however. Not sure it'd be happy with abuse from the 2.5.

If one day I do want to run a turbo lump then I'll get the bits from subarugears in Aus to use a scooby box with reversed ring and pinion etc. Not cheap, but cheaper than a Porsche G50 box which would be the other realistic option.
    Hey I was just wondering , how is the transmission holding up . I was actually scrolling through subarugear's website the other day and they looked like a really reputable company. The only transaxles that are suitable for a bigger hp engine that I have heard off (except the expensive as all hell G50 ) are the Audi 01E , 016 and the Subaru TY line . From what I've heard 90% of people doing these swaps in there backyards and welding the differential , end up blowing up there transmission ( Especially the subbie ones)

Sorry, just realised I resurrected a 3 year old thread
    Sorry, just realised I resurrected a 6 year old thread

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    Hey I was just wondering , how is the transmission holding up . I was actually scrolling through subarugear's website the other day and they looked like a really reputable company. The only transaxles that are suitable for a bigger hp engine that I have heard off (except the expensive as all hell G50 ) are the Audi 01E , 016 and the Subaru TY line . From what I've heard 90% of people doing these swaps in there backyards and welding the differential , end up blowing up there transmission ( Especially the subbie ones)

I've not seen any posts from PaddyX21 for a while, but I can recommend the subarugear's conversion as I have done one, I have also run a standard VW box with a Subaru engine in the past and the difference between the 2 make the cost so worth while.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I've not seen any posts from PaddyX21 for a while, but I can recommend the subarugear's conversion as I have done one, I have also run a standard VW box with a Subaru engine in the past and the difference between the 2 make the cost so worth while.

Dirk
    Did it last ? I heard that the biggest problem people have been having is since each gear for its corresponding axle handles about 62 hp ( 250 / 4 ) if you do the rwd conversion most transaxles blow up because now each axle gear has to take responsibility for double the horsepower double the horsepower .

As an aside, the concensus on VW sites is that the std VW T1 T2 box will handle up to 110HP input and as I have a high tuned 1641cc on a 1303 IRS box I hope that's true. I would love to try a Skoda 5 speed from a 1980s rear engined Rapide.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Did it last ? I heard that the biggest problem people have been having is since each gear for its corresponding axle handles about 62 hp ( 250 / 4 ) if you do the rwd conversion most transaxles blow up because now each axle gear has to take responsibility for double the horsepower double the horsepower .
    Hmm I hadn't heard that, in fact I doubt that is true...
    (I'm using a scooby gearbox in my build)
    The Subarugears conversion has been around a while and if there were inherent weaknesses such as that, it would be all over the VW forums.
    I heard that the conversion is stronger and quieter (gear teeth chatter) compared to ~2 years ago, and that I could go to 300bhp (in fact I will be running less that half of that).

That sound like a lot of rubbish to me for starters there are only 3 outputs from the gearbox so the 250/4 is not true there is only one pinion one crown wheel and one gear train all you are doing is taking the rear wheel drive part out so the front end part of the gearbox the main working part has exactly the same amount of power going through it. I've not had any problems with mine.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    As an aside, the concensus on VW sites is that the std VW T1 T2 box will handle up to 110HP input and as I have a high tuned 1641cc on a 1303 IRS box I hope that's true. I would love to try a Skoda 5 speed from a 1980s rear engined Rapide.

I never had any problems with my Nova with a standard 1500 gearbox and 2.2lt Subaru engine it just screamed its nuts off, very high revs but never broke.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That sound like a lot of rubbish to me for starters there are only 3 outputs from the gearbox so the 250/4 is not true there is only one pinion one crown wheel and one gear train all you are doing is taking the rear wheel drive part out so the front end part of the gearbox the main working part has exactly the same amount of power going through it. I've not had any problems with mine.

Dirk
    Sorry , i think you misunderstood me . I wasn't referring to Subarugears conversion blowing up , I was referring to the average DIY-Weld-The-Differential-In-Your-Back-Yard conversion , I've only heard good things about Subarugears and just wanted to see if that was really the case . As for the 250/4 ratio I had heard this from the Subaru and Factoryfive forum so , sorry if it sounded like I was purposely spreading false rumors .