Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Meanwhile I drove it the dark for the first time this evening. First impressions were a bit hairy as visibility is even worse than normal when it's dark
    That is a very common first impression, unfortunately. Tunnel headlights give no peripheral vision, so nothing to illuminate the kerb or other reference points we tend to rely on. Couple that with the low headlight position (typically below the minimum height stipulated in the C&U regs) and shallow windscreen and headlight cover angles causing extra attenuation and night-time visibility leaves a lot to be desired
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

It is a bit edge of you seat, it is even worse in the Avante as the headlight aperture is smaller and the hinged part of the flap is slightly higher than the bottom of the head light. My Nova will have pop ups .

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the vid you posted earlier, I think the rev-limiter light comes on too early ;-)

It is a pity the car is MOT exempt in a way, because the MOT 'cert' gives a finish line to the build.
    It's a huge achievement getting one of these cars on the road - well done.
    Hope to see the car at one of the shows this year.

I have had the car taxed and insured for just over a month now but have still done very limited mileage in it. I still need to replace the old tyres (they have plenty of tread but are cracked and very old) so I will be replacing the tyres shortly. One of the reasons for the delay is I have been agonising over whether to stick with the existing wheel tyre size combination, or go for something different. Also since driving the car I have discovered the indicators don't self cancel so I have a tendency to forget to cancel them even though there are lights flashing on the dashboard. It wouldn't be an MOT fail but is one of a few minor issues I want to sort out before getting it tested. So here's the question. My car is taxed as a vehicle of historic interest and does not require an MOT and is road legal. However, I can get it tested if I choose to. What happens if it fails? Am I breaking the law if I continue to drive it or must I take it off the road until it passes it's test? If memory serves me correctly, it used to be the case that if you submitted your car for a test and it failed on something minor, you could still continue to use the car providing the previous MOT had not run out.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    It is a pity the car is MOT exempt in a way, because the MOT 'cert' gives a finish line to the build.
    It's a huge achievement getting one of these cars on the road - well done.
    Hope to see the car at one of the shows this year.
    I agree - getting and passing an MOT test is a major milestone - and is perhaps a reason to say the car is now finished (though is a kit car ever completely finished or just at a certain stage of evolution?)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Looking at the vid you posted earlier, I think the rev-limiter light comes on too early ;-)
    Agreed - it's set at about 3 thousand revs but is easily adjusted up.

Another issue I have come across is it's very difficult to read the speedo as it is partially obscured by the steering wheel. A wider diameter wheel would help a lot but I may then find my knee is hitting it. Or perhaps I should move the speedo - but what to do with the gaping hole left behind?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I have had the car taxed and insured for just over a month now but have still done very limited mileage in it. I still need to replace the old tyres (they have plenty of tread but are cracked and very old) so I will be replacing the tyres shortly. One of the reasons for the delay is I have been agonising over whether to stick with the existing wheel tyre size combination, or go for something different. Also since driving the car I have discovered the indicators don't self cancel so I have a tendency to forget to cancel them even though there are lights flashing on the dashboard. It wouldn't be an MOT fail but is one of a few minor issues I want to sort out before getting it tested. So here's the question. My car is taxed as a vehicle of historic interest and does not require an MOT and is road legal. However, I can get it tested if I choose to. What happens if it fails? Am I breaking the law if I continue to drive it or must I take it off the road until it passes it's test? If memory serves me correctly, it used to be the case that if you submitted your car for a test and it failed on something minor, you could still continue to use the car providing the previous MOT had not run out.
    My understanding is that while you do not need an MOT if you take it for one and it fails you are then bound by the rules that any other car would have to comply too.

Dirk

Correct, if a vehicle is tested it has to comply with the result as there may be a fault that has developed over time that requires attention to make it safe.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

New tyres fitted today. A set of four 205/70 x 14's which completes the list of jobs to do on the car before I would be happy to have it tested. However, the fitter didn't balance any of the wheels until I pointed out his error to him. Just a couple of young lads who were clearly too idle to do a proper job! Luckily I noticed the ommision and made them put it right. But it was really unforgivable and shoddy workmanship. I'll not be back there again. I've fixed the indicators so they now self cancel, and I've also fitted a smaller (11") steering wheel which means I can see the speedo and rev counter much better now. Drove the car quite a few miles in the sunshine today and had forgotten how hot these things get on a warm and sunny day. Mind you days like today are so rare in Scotland... it's almost a pleasure to get cooked inside while driving the car
    Last edited by Phill; 19-04-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Excellent news Phill ... I think you should pour yourself a celebratory drink now (assuming you're not still out driving!)
    Happy days!

Nice one. Are you planning on coming down to Stones in it?

Dirk

If I was Phill I wouldn't be heading for Stones in my Nova next week ... like you Dirk, I'd be having lots of short trips, gradually increasing my range .... until I'd visited Alistair in St Andrews ..... and then I might consider venturing as far as Carlisle

Phill, if you're thinking about taking her to Stones 2020 and Alison doesn't want to go, I'd happily be your passenger! ....

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 20-04-2019 at 08:58 AM.