Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice 👍

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice, looking forward to seeing these on, looking at the other pics they seem to come up great when polished.

I looked at these after they were posted, my first thoughts were that that is quite a nasty gouge on the rim of one, its very deep based on the photos. Then I thought maybe Lumiweld or similar could fill the space and file / polish to get it looking as good as new, even if with a slight metal colour difference. Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I looked at these after they were posted, my first thoughts were that that is quite a nasty gouge on the rim of one, its very deep based on the photos. Then I thought maybe Lumiweld or similar could fill the space and file / polish to get it looking as good as new, even if with a slight metal colour difference. Food for thought
    Yes the gouge was putting me off buying it then I thought what the hell - Patina (as Drew Pritchard would say)..I'll see how bad it looks once they're polished before deciding what to do - may just live with it or try filling it as you have suggested
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Well after another weekend spent polishing I now have a set of 4 ready to fit to the car.

The two more recent wheels aren't quite as good as the two I got from Alistair but I can live with them.

IMG_9638[1].jpg

I have arranged to get the tyres switched over tomorrow so looking forward to seeing the car with the new wheels fitted which I think will give it more of a 70's look

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Looking great Phill

From the photos it looks like the faces where the ‘eBay’ wheel nuts sit against the wheel is about 45’ whereas the faces on the ones you got from me are flat. I had the same issue with my new rear wheels and bought some bevelled spherical washers to make sure the load is applied evenly across the face. This is the sort of thing I’m talking about and I’ve got enough left over if you need them ....

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk...SABEgJhnfD_BwE

It also depends on the wheel nut faces on your turbos. If the wheel nuts have a 45’ face you might need to insert a conical washer instead so that they fit the flat face on my old wheels.

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Well after another weekend spent polishing I now have a set of 4 ready to fit to the car.

The two more recent wheels aren't quite as good as the two I got from Alistair but I can live with them.

IMG_9638[1].jpg

I have arranged to get the tyres switched over tomorrow so looking forward to seeing the car with the new wheels fitted which I think will give it more of a 70's look
    Looking good. Do you have centre caps for them?

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Looking good. Do you have centre caps for them?

Mick
    Good point Mick

I've obviously still got mine but they're pretty rusty. Haven't yet decided whether to re-chrome or buy new.

Phill, when you're sourcing them be sure to measure the bore hole diameter before ordering because they come in different sizes

Maybe some of the 'turbovec fans' on the forum have some old slot mag centre caps lying around that they no longer need ... ???

Alistair

Thanks Mick - I'm going to use my Wolfrace centre caps even though the wheels are appliance

I know what you mean Alistair, But I have the opposite problem to you in that the wheels I bought of ebay use bevel washers which are the same as I have fitted to the turbovecs and are a perfect fit. But I will need to source some flat washers for the wheels I got from you. Thanks for the link, I'm sure there's some there that I can get that will fit
    Last edited by Phill; 26-05-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Phill,

If you look at the diagram on the rhs of the page on the link I gave you you'll see that you can get a conical seat for the spherical washers ... I think that would do the job. Either that or get the wheel studs machined to remove the 45' sloping section?

Alistair