Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    You get what you pay for, so you have to think,” Why are they cheaper ?”. It’s because they are older tyres that have not sold. I used to buy from them and wondered why the sidewalls were cracking after a couple of years and found that the tyres were seven years old!
    That was however on a regularly used car.
    I am only pointing out the issue I had. It should not impact on choice or price, however it is worth bearing in mind.
    With a nova, most don’t use as a daily driver 😂😂😂 ( says he who owns the “ princess”) but it is worth bearing in mind that you get what you pay for.
    Once upon a time, many years ago I was area manager for National Tyres out of Gloucester and we always sold on the basis of 'pence per mile', cheaper for the tyre, less the mileage, more for the tyre more the mileage, works out about the same so it's down to grip, water displacement etc.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

With it being the weekend and the industrial estate where the car is based being quiet I took the car out for some test driving. The engine was developing a missfire once warmed up so I decided to revert back to the original carb which yielded an improvement bit still some hesitancy at low revs. Also discovered I had a tendency to forget to my indicators were on as the self cancelling feature of the steering column isn't working. The brakes have improved immensely since I first drove the car but there is a tendency to pull to the left under hard braking. The suspension is now sitting dead level with about 15mm- 20mm of travel at either side before hitting the bump stops. The ride height is a little bit high but I would need to remove the bump stops if I was to lower it any further which would also introduce negative camber whereas at the moment I think it's sitting pretty well how Volkswagen originally intended. A bigger wheel/tyre combination at the back would fill out the arches better.
    IMG_8684.jpg IMG_8685.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Nice work Phill. Your Nova is really looking the part. You must be near the last big push to getting her fully on the road.Well done.Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Looking good, you could always just cut the bump stops down a bit if you are only 10 20 mm you may end up hitting them quite often. I guess that can wait until its on the road proper and you can have a good test run.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking good, you could always just cut the bump stops down a bit if you are only 10 20 mm you may end up hitting them quite often. I guess that can wait until its on the road proper and you can have a good test run.

Dirk

My Blue Nova's bump stops are cut down, probably half of what they were

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    With it being the weekend and the industrial estate where the car is based being quiet I took the car out for some test driving. The engine was developing a missfire once warmed up so I decided to revert back to the original carb which yielded an improvement bit still some hesitancy at low revs. Also discovered I had a tendency to forget to my indicators were on as the self cancelling feature of the steering column isn't working. The brakes have improved immensely since I first drove the car but there is a tendency to pull to the left under hard braking. The suspension is now sitting dead level with about 15mm- 20mm of travel at either side before hitting the bump stops. The ride height is a little bit high but I would need to remove the bump stops if I was to lower it any further which would also introduce negative camber whereas at the moment I think it's sitting pretty well how Volkswagen originally intended. A bigger wheel/tyre combination at the back would fill out the arches better.
    IMG_8684.jpg IMG_8685.jpg
    I removed about 15mm from the top of my bump stops, wound up the bar and fitted a spacer/ stop block to make the axles sit horizontal at rest

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

The brakes are now sorted (check out the brake test near the end of this video) and the engine is now running better than ever. So I took the car for another test drive today:-

https://youtu.be/E-fVNP2hG9s

Looking and sounding great Phill

Nice one, is the MOT booked.

Dirk

It's still to get an MOT Dirk (or engineers report which is my preference as I don't want to blight it with any sort of history that's available for anyone to look up on line). I'll do it once I've had a chance to sort out a few niggles.

Meanwhile I drove it the dark for the first time this evening. First impressions were a bit hairy as visibility is even worse than normal when it's dark

IMG_8772.jpg IMG_8775.jpg