Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 1,001 to 1,007 of 1007

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Yes, you're right. That is the plan long term - to completely strip and re-build this engine. I had hoped to find a simple cause by test running it first but have been unsuccessful. However, the casing I got from Dirk will be very handy once the engine is re-built to allow me to test of first before fitting it in the car. My current engine was in and out of the car a number of time before I succeeded in getting it to run after replacing the piston rings. And the current engine (although only a 1300 twin port) is pretty sound and will be kept in the car until I get around to rebuilding the type 4
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Phil
    I used to have a 914 which I converted to rhd and I've just found the manual so if there's any info you need or you are welcome to borrow it
    Mike

Attached Images Attached Images

Height adjustable springplates

Having driven my car for some 3000 miles now I decided it was time to raise the suspension back up an inch or so. Reason being I was concerned that with the high amount of negative camber on the rear wheels I would wreck my wheel bearings due to being starved of gear oil from the transaxle tubes. Secondly, the car would sometimes ground when reversing back on a slight incline, and finally, I am contemplating fitting larger tyres which would need a height change anyway. Normally I adjust the rear height by rotating the spring plates around the torsion bar splines but it's a bit of a faff and can take a couple of hours to do both sides, so I decided to try some height adjustable spring plates instead. Fitting them is relatively straight forward, no different from carrying out a height adjustment but with the added bonus I would only have to do this once and could fine tune the ride height with ease once the new plates were installed

IMG_0403[1].jpg

Disassembling the old spring plate

IMG_0404[1].jpg

Comparing the new spring plate (top) with the old. The new one has a height adjustment grub screw that makes height adjustment and fine tuning a simple 5 minute job once these are installed

IMG_0406[1].jpg

New spring plate in place

IMG_0407[1].jpg

I'm more or less settled at this height with the car just over an inch higher than before which leaves only a very small amount of negative camber, and of course, if I'm feeling reckless, I can easily lower it again if need be

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

I'm more or less settled at this height with the car just over an inch higher than before which leaves only a very small amount of negative camber, and of course, if I'm feeling reckless, I can easily lower it again if need be
    Looking good Phill

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    nice one, did it have an affect on you front end at all pushing it down?

Dirk

Yes and by more than you would expect. I guess it's a combination of pivot action at the front wheels and weight transfer towards the front of the car. Previously I had 130mm clearance at the front this has now reduced to 100mm