Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I echo what Peter has said.
    You know you are going to strip it anyway, and a top end noise will not always show in a compression test.
    To start, just take the rocker covers off , turn it by hand and see if you have good movement on the valves.
    You never know, it could be a loose tappet !!
    I did just as you have suggested and it's quite clear there are no sticking valves or signs of combustion getting into the valve cover area which might have indicated a faulty valve
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I did just as you have suggested and it's quite clear there are no sticking valves or signs of combustion getting into the valve cover area which might have indicated a faulty valve
    Phill,

Did you get a chance to see the engine running, or was the video taken by the seller? I was thinking that if you hadn't actually seen it running, then getting it running (by buying/borrowing a transaxle bellhousing) you'd have a better chance of locating the noise.

Either it would be immediately obvious, or if not, you could use a big screwdriver (blade on the engine, handle pushed against your ear) to help you locate the source.

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Phill,

Did you get a chance to see the engine running, or was the video taken by the seller? I was thinking that if you hadn't actually seen it running, then getting it running (by buying/borrowing a transaxle bellhousing) you'd have a better chance of locating the noise.

Either it would be immediately obvious, or if not, you could use a big screwdriver (blade on the engine, handle pushed against your ear) to help you locate the source.

Alistair
    And you have to mess around with clutch parts if I remember rightly - was it a type 3 pressure plate (and one flywheel or the other)? It was nearly 40 years ago I did all this, but Lauren will know!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    And you have to mess around with clutch parts if I remember rightly - was it a type 3 pressure plate (and one flywheel or the other)? It was nearly 40 years ago I did all this, but Lauren will know!
    As far as I know it's just the splines on the type 4 clutch plate that are different - so I need to substitute the type 4 clutch with a type 1 clutch plate of suitable diameter (200mm I believe)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Phill,

Alistair
    No I never saw it running as it was already removed from the Camper van - this is why I'm keen to get a bellhousing to try running it before I take it apart to pinpoint the area I need to concentrate on

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to seeing the 2.1 Litre conversion, and Omex fuel injection

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You know there is a problem, so just go for it, if you can buy or borrow an engine stand it will make light work of stripping it down,
    All VW engines a simple, it's mostly the peripherals that make things complicated, when you are at the case level it goes very easy.
    Phill, I've been looking through your thread again ... regardless of whether or not you get to the bottom of the problem before you start your strip down, remember that I've got an engine stand that you're more than welcome to borrow if it helps with your project
    Alistair

That would be great Alistair - I've just been looking on line at the price of engine stands and yokes. I rebuilt my existing engine on the garage floor but a stand would make it much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    That would be great Alistair - I've just been looking on line at the price of engine stands and yokes. I rebuilt my existing engine on the garage floor but a stand would make it much easier.
    Excellent ... just let me know when you'd like to pick it up

Thanks Alistair

Just a thought - would it be worthwhile fitting the weber 32/36 that came with the engine onto my 1300cc twinport in the meantime? Any idea what sort of power increase it would provide?