Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Phill's Nova Project finally begins

Whatever, it would be good to see you there!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I'm sure you could get it MOT ready if not finished in 3 months, if not then yes trailer it down. I think with the cars about it could be a record number this year.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update, good to see the progress.
    I think you'll be OK with the 3mm PVC, I have used it on any number of household DIY Jobs and wouldn't hesitate to use it on the car, it is very stable.
    I hope the 'kevlar' dash holds up in the summer heat - I like that look, in fact I might steal it ;-)
    Stainless steel frontage to the dash is a good look also.
    It's coming together mate, keep the updates coming.

A bit more progress this weekend. Finally getting around to some of the 1001 little jobs that have been waiting to get ticked off the list.

First was to rub down and paint the rear louvre matt black and fit this to the car. I decided to use lift off door hinges for their robustness and useful feature that allows me to seperate the hinges two halves allowing me to remove the panel from the car without having to remove the screws everytime.

IMG_7848[1].jpg
    I was going to add some kind of "bonnet stay" to the louvre, but discovered these hinges allow me to rotate the panel over 180 enabling me to prop it against the roof section to keep it open (something I couldn't have done if I'd used concealed hinges)

IMG_7846[1].jpg

I also made up brackets to fit the rear lights into their apertures in the rear panel

IMG_7842[1].jpg

And while I was at it - decided to make up a black and silver number plate to replace the old yellow/black one that I had.

IMG_7844[1].jpg

I think this looks far better and suits the F reg of the car. I also made a self adhesive plate for the front panel of the car but decided I don't really like it but should make up a bracket and hang a number plate under the nose instead. What do you think guys, self adhesive plate on the top, or number plate below?

IMG_7845[1].jpg
    Last edited by Phill; 11-02-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

You're really making great progress Phill. Your car's looking great. I love the rear lights! What number are you going to put on the white circles? I totally agree on the style of number plates and personally favour putting the front plate further down. Here's a photo of mine (from long ago!). I made up a couple of aluminium triangular brackets and screwed them to the valance. The plate was held to them with double sided tape. I think it looks 'right' on that position ... but I did have to replace it a couple of times because it tended to get knocked or scratched being so low down! 20180211_181051.jpg

Alistair

Phil
    All looking really good. The front plate looks good. Technically it should be vertical but you would get away with it as so many other cars do.
    Itís hard to tell but do your rear lights have reflectors built in? Itís just that I fell foul of this issue for my mot .

Thanks for the heads up Mark - My lamps don't have reflectors built in. What did you do to fix yours? Can you just screw on small bicycle reflectors to the rear panel?

Also think I prefer the number plate underneath the nose like Alistairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Mark - My lamps don't have reflectors built in. What did you do to fix yours? Can you just screw on small bicycle reflectors to the rear panel?

Also think I prefer the number plate underneath the nose like Alistairs.
    Mine are just stick on . Size or shape does not matter, as long as there is one either side.

Looking good Phill, number plate looks better below. On my last Nova I had a stick on one but that was more because I had the radiator up front and the number plate blocked the air flow.

Your louvre stay is great in the garage, but sods law states you will brake down in the howling wind with it pouring down with rain, do you want your roof open? and will the louvre stay in place? (probably not) I would fit some stays or rams.

Dirk

I have a guilty secret I've been hiding from you guys.....I really like the exhaust system I've fitted to my car, but it sits too high and fouls the rear skirt panel preventing me from fitting it... up until now that is.

I didn't want to cut the panel so elected instead to adjust the angle of the exhaust pipes.

I did this by cutting through the support brackets on each side.

IMG_7849[1].jpg

Then used a ratchet strap to carefully bend the pipe downwards ensuring that both sides were bent to the same extent. The ratchet strap made precise adjustments easy

IMG_7852[1].jpg

A couple of rivets to hold the pipe at the new precise angle...

IMG_7859[1].jpg

And the rear skirt now fits neatly just above the pipes as they exit the car

IMG_7872[1].jpg

An added bonus I discovered that the rear skirt was easier to fit as I could now rest it on the pipes whilst getting the first few bolts into place, a job I always found tricky on my own.